Kick channel and samples

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
What do you usually use on your kick when you use samples?
I usually use the miced kick track, I put a compressor to limit the peak and the dynamics, Aptrigga (I mix the wet and dry signal to taste) and Eq.
Where do you use the compressor? Before or after aptrigga/drumagog?

i take my original track, cut the output and send it to nothing.

i then send it to 2 separate bus tracks, on 1 bus track i throw up either drumagog or aptrigga and i insert a sample 100% wet with no dry so i have 1 wet bus and 1 original dry bus. then on the dry bus i add an eq and raise the high's and lows to around 6-8dB and then slightly compress it - i then take the output of the 2 bus tracks and send them to a final mix bus where i do final compression & limiting and a very very slight amount of reverb with no pre delay and a long tail (reverb mix around 28%)

What do you usually use on your kick when you use samples?
I usually use the miced kick track, I put a compressor to limit the peak and the dynamics, Aptrigga (I mix the wet and dry signal to taste) and Eq.
Where do you use the compressor? Before or after aptrigga/drumagog?

If the simplicity of that is working for you then great, but you might find you get better triggering if you put aptrigga first, it totally depends on the settings on the comp though, in some cases it could even help to have it first.

I prefer having the two tracks (real and samples) seperate and then joining them afterwards

I just did something real similar to mick thompson. This was for a wierd Grunge/Rockabilly band. I wanted the drums to sound really big and roomy.

I sent both kick mic tracks to a group channel so I could control the balance of the batter mic and the port mic. I then created 2 buss/fx channels, and then on the first buss/fx channel I inserted drumagog with a close mic sample, and on the second buss/fx channel I inserted drumagog with a room sample. Then went back to the natural batter track and sent an equal amount of signal to both buss/fx channels, giving me the ability to blend the natural kick, and the close, and room samples to my liking. Did the same with snare tracks. I know this is old news, but it’s the first time I used this method and I DIG IT. For slower weird shit anyway.

All depends on the sound of the sample and sound of the song really. I'm pretty sure with the right song and the right kick sample you wouldn't need any processing. I normally use a bit of eq, maybe a little compression for sound shaping, not for controlling the dynamic's as normally I'm using a pretty consistent level for my samples.