How often do you use sidechain compression on bass/kick?

whitedamp

Aug 28, 2006
Brazil
How often do you use sidechain compression on bass/kick?
Do you use it as a rule of thumb on almost all your mixes?

I've just very recently learnt this and what a difference! Although it's use would depend on the sounds of the bass and kick... in my not-very-experienced opinion. I only looked in to this because my bass sound on the heavy sections of this song live in the same space as the kick so to speak.

Coolio... I assumed that if the bass and kick were not interfering with each other then there was no purpose to it but I'll give it a whirl on my middy bass sound. cheers.

is it possible to side chain a multi band? this would allow the kick to only trigger compression in freq. that are clashing, and leave the rest sounding more natural.

Yup! Setup your sidechain as normal, and before the compressor, put an EQ - this will allow you to "hone" in on a frequency range, but leave the rest uncompressed.

often for rock-stuff....

never needed it in a metalmix though.
I think ducking the bass with the kick doesn't work well for stuff with fast doublekicks, stuff will just start pumping and fluttering.

to be honest...I'm even not using parallel comp on drums that often lately...

my mix-settings are pretty simple and basic tbh...makes things easier and faster.

often for rock-stuff....

never needed it in a metalmix though.
I think ducking the bass with the kick doesn't work well for stuff with fast doublekicks, stuff will just start pumping and fluttering.

to be honest...I'm even not using parallel comp on drums that often lately...

my mix-settings are pretty simple and basic tbh...makes things easier and faster.

yes..