Comparison: Cabs (Mesa/Marshall/Engl)

the mesa has the best balance of the 3. The marshall is at one end of the spectrum, with the engl at the other. Each has a character I like, but i would say the mesa sounds the most "polished" so-to-speak. I did notice the engl cab has that fizz i'm used to hearing out of an engl amp, maybe run an engl amp through the mesa and it'd be golden.

I think they all sound great.

The marshall has an awesome quality to it in the high end. Even though there is a bit of fizz, you could easily dial it out with an EQ when mixing.

All good tones.

Not really sure about these. All of them have something that I like and something that I'd want removed.

Lasse, you wouldn't have any access to an Engl Standard with V60's for a comparrison by any chance?

+1! Never quite heard the V60 cab compared to others.

I think the fact that there are elements of most you like and elements of most you dislike that makes a great case for mixing and matching heads and cabs on recordings. Fill the gaps so to speak... it's why I barely ever just use one mic on a cab anymore!

BTW: The ENGL and Mesa clips sound great to me. The ENGL is a bit more fizzy but it's sort of up-front and fuller. The Mesa on the other hand has barely any fizz and has strong core mids, which is what I love about that cab. Tough call man... tough call. I love both.

Hey Lasse, could you give us some anticipations about these v60's? I've a good deal for an Engl standard cab and it would be cool to read some impressions :)

Hey Lasse, could you give us some anticipations about these v60's? I've a good deal for an Engl standard cab and it would be cool to read some impressions :)

it's really solid and well built.

it's especially awesome for live use, not the biggest fan in the studio though (lacking the bite of the v30).
it sounds really smooth and round, slightly scooped....yeah, it's great for live...