Compress the drum kit = Yes?

outbreak525

Jun 15, 2010
So I throw compression on my ENTIRE drum track right, and it's like bam everything is so punchy and powerful [but those damn cymbals make it sound way too compressed!]

I'm feeling I should find the middle ground and just SLIGHTLY compress the kit. Why do you guys think?

Non Compressed
Compressed

Send just the shells to a more aggressive comp, cymbals to a less aggressive comp, and then both of those to a single group and use some slight compression to bring those two together

I always compress the kick, snare, toms and sometimes oh's separately to my taste, then route the drum tracks to a buss. Generally two options: I compress just a little bit to glue the shit AND parallel comp to add some punch OR I simply compress the drum buss. It depends how it works for the music.

Comp shells individually and send to a parallel comp, then do light compression on the drum bus itself. Very different intents with all 3 compression stages.

That's what I wanted to say, you speak better than me ahah!
Btw, do you guys use the same compressor or different ones? I use to take the SSL comp from Waves.

Comp shells individually and send to a parallel comp, then do light compression on the drum bus itself. Very different intents with all 3 compression stages.

I'm a noob, how do I do this in Cubase 5?
And even if you can send me a link on how-to that'd be great I just don't have time to look right now.

EDIT:
ALSO do you think the drum compression is even necessary for the track?
Here's the end of the song without any drum compression.