compression while tracking

Fragle

Jul 27, 2005
Germany
disclaimer: i've never used a hardware comp before (planning to buy one soon though), so the answer to my question might be really obvious ^^

anyways, seems like most if not all pro's and semi pro's swear by tracking vocals through a compressor, distressor comes to mind here.
my question is, what's the difference between tracking through the comp, and tracking dry but routing the vocal out to the comp later in the mix? i figure that the latter will give you more control on how the compression exactly sits in the mix. tracking through the comp obviously gives you a more consistent vocal to work with in the mix, but on the other hand you can't undo too much compression during the tracking stage.

so, what's the idea behind it?

you also end up having more control over the amount of compression needed in the mix stage by compressing to "tape". The idea being its always better to go through several stages of light compression to achieve an end result as opposed to smashing the hell out of a track in one shot

of course, this can vary depending on the style of music and/or the actual sound you're going for

If you're using high quality ADDA conversion, the extra stages isn't really that big a deal.

There are two real advantages to tracking through compression. 1) you can track hotter, which makes it easier for the singer to hear himself in the cue mix, and 2) good singers will "ride" the compression, using it like an effect.

Oh, and if you do it on the way in you don't need to do it later. When you charge by the hour bands really appreciate when you can nail down a sound now so they don't have to pay you to screw around with it later.

i do a fair amount on the way in and lots more later.
I think singers like tracking with compression... they can hear everything they're doing a lot better. you can just set your level and work away and not have to be riding the fader all the time to get an even monitoring level. Plus your vocal sounds more "like a record" right off the bat which is inspiring for both you and the artist.

1) you can track hotter, which makes it easier for the singer to hear himself in the cue mix

Here's another idea:
1. Don't struggle getting as close to clipping as possible, leave a bit of extra headroom to be on the safe side.
2. Lower the master bus (usually 5-10db ) and turn up the headphone amp (or the monitors)
3. Once you're done recording bring the master bus back to 0

Done.

disclaimer: i've never used a hardware comp before (planning to buy one soon though), so the answer to my question might be really obvious ^^

anyways, seems like most if not all pro's and semi pro's swear by tracking vocals through a compressor, distressor comes to mind here.
my question is, what's the difference between tracking through the comp, and tracking dry but routing the vocal out to the comp later in the mix? i figure that the latter will give you more control on how the compression exactly sits in the mix. tracking through the comp obviously gives you a more consistent vocal to work with in the mix, but on the other hand you can't undo too much compression during the tracking stage.

so, what's the idea behind it?

well you always want to keep your recordings as non-destructive - thats what i do, i would use compression for tracking but it would never get mixed down to the session files. it would just be tracking

example if you dont take a d.i. of your guitar and just stick to a mic your really limiting your options in the event that you fuck up your recording due to bad micing, bad freq's or whatever.

so i never compress my tracks until im in the mixing stage. i only compress them for tracking

1176 on vocals on the way in. doing 5-7 db of reduction tops.
may do more later either ITB or by sending back throught the 1176 as An insert
tracking vox without compression is a nightmare.

right to sum up cos my post was a bit confusing. i track with compression but its not destructive compression. it stays on a bus to the monitors and the headphones to stay non destructive meaning when im bouncing down the .wav's there is no comp on them