compressor shootout snare

Lasse Lammert

HCAF Blitzkrieg
Feb 12, 2009
www.lasselammert.com
I'm planning on doing a wee shootout comparing compressors on snare (plugins only this time I guess).
plugs will be
focusrite
metric halo CS
Waves API
Bomb Factory's stuff
Digi PT comp
Purple Audio

(perhaps comparing to some outboard comps as a reference...dunno...we'll see)

do you want a track on which I tracked the snare only (samples) or do you want a full snare track from a real project (incl all the bleed etc) and perhaps even OH tracks blended in?
I guess the latter one would be better, aye?

It shouldn't really matter as long as you have an uncompressed reference file so people know what each is doing to the tone. I think throwing some real outboard in there would be great. Many comment that ITB compression can't match OTB, so it would be nice to see how many can hear the difference off the bat.

It shouldn't really matter as long as you have an uncompressed reference file so people know what each is doing to the tone. I think throwing some real outboard in there would be great. Many comment that ITB compression can't match OTB, so it would be nice to see how many can hear the difference off the bat.

right about the outboard comps being better than ITB in the most cases (the MH is indeed an exception). I think for EQ the differences are not as major as with comps

what else....
comp on snare and drumbus perhaps?
to get something like a cummulated effect?

If you provide the unprocessed samples I can contribute a UAD 4K (SSL) version. The The UAD stuff is well ahead of almost all the native comps I've used (vst only) and the 4K is my new favorite on drums.

As for the test, I suggest a full drum mix with only the snare processing changing. You could automate a solo for a section but I find it easier to gauge things like this in the context of a full kit.

and if possible, a) exact same settings on all compressors AND b) the best sounding settings on each compressor

it'll be somewhere between those two...
some comps don't have exact numbers on the scales etc..
ot for example the MH...
15ms attack on "smooth" sounds slower than 20-30ms on "fast"....especially those attack and release settings are so undefined and actually not saying anything that dialing in the same "numbers" won't help....
or the "gain reduction" for example...just going by the meters with MH I can't even tell if it's 5 or 20dB reduction, you gotta go by your ears there....
similar thing with alot of outboard stuff I'm using, the needle shows 2-3dB but it fells/sounds more like 8-10

I guess it'll be "slow attack, fast release" though....that's mean 15-40ms attack and 0-100ms release.
I'll try to use a similar and common ration though (like 4:1)