computer dudes.. need some help!

Jun 2, 2005
Hey all...

Well, if you clicked this thread.. you probably know about computers a bit eh?

Here's my problem.. yesterday, i installed a fresh HD (Samsung T133 400GB 8MB IDE) and it is, as it says, a 400GB HDD.

Well, in window XP it is telling me that it has a capacity of 127 GB! not even close to 400GB... WTF? im on XP with service pack 2, so that should not be the problem right?

Could it be my motherboard? i had 2 HDD's in it last time, and they were 160GB and one of 120GB... what is going on?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Yeah, it (XP) actually reconises that the HDD has a full capacity of 390 GB, i clicked start/settings/control panel/administrative tools/computer management...then storage, and then disk management.

But it just says it's not being used and that's all i can see for now... very weird.

Get your hands on Partition Magic or one of the other HDD partition software packages and see if that software will free up access to the rest. XP (even sp2) has some seriously weird issues occasionally. I've heard of this problem before, but I can't remember where I found the solution, sorry.

Get your hands on Partition Magic or one of the other HDD partition software packages and see if that software will free up access to the rest. XP (even sp2) has some seriously weird issues occasionally. I've heard of this problem before, but I can't remember where I found the solution, sorry.

Yeah, it seems to be a problem for some.. im thinking about backing up everything and to format the HDD.. then create two partitions and see what happens then.

Windows saw my 320Gb good...full capacity. Today I resized my windows partition to 120Gb and I created another partition only for data, samples, download, etc... it's more secure if you will have some problems with windows (have your data in another place in case of system format is better).
So...take partition magic, check out your disk, if you have a little partition of 127Gb use it for windows/programs and create a new partition for data in the unallocated space (280Gb ca.)...a logical partition. Voila'

o_O O rofl... i just tried to create another partition throught the XP disc.. thinking that it might get me the remaning GB on a second partition that way... i knew it was going to format the HDD, so no biggie right?

right..

As i did that, all went pretty ok.. installed xp again, but now it says i have 39GB left on the HDD... aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!

Go back into control panel-administrative tools-computer management- disk management and delete the partition of said drive, as I am assuming you have nothing on it at this point it should not matter in the least. Right click on it after you have done away with the partition and create a new partition and then reformat and it will find the entire drive. It's basically a matter of backing it out and having windows find it again.

ah windoze.
the way i got my pc too see my 320 gb hard disk was.....formatting it on my mac.
as i use pro tools i have hfs+ support and can swop it between the two.
my pc doesn recogise my exernal hd amongst other things
no thanks bill

127Gb is a windows xp limitation, before sp2. But sometime the problem remains with sp2 also.
My friend bought a new pc, with a new motherboard and he had the problem so it's not an "old bios" problem.
I say you: use these 127Gb for windows and programs, create a new logical partition with partition magic in the unallocated space and after that, use this for data.

127Gb is a windows xp limitation, before sp2. But sometime the problem remains with sp2 also.
My friend bought a new pc, with a new motherboard and he had the problem so it's not an "old bios" problem.
I say you: use these 127Gb for windows and programs, create a new logical partition with partition magic in the unallocated space and after that, use this for data.

First of all, thanks for the help lads! such a delicate matter when it comes to stuff like this, but i think it will be allright now..

What i did.. and XeS, you were spot on, there seems to be a stupid limitation of 127GB when you install a XP version without SP2... for me, after installing SP2 the problem remained the same... checked the BIOS, everything was setup like it should be, but it still only went up to 127GB.

however, with SP2 i could go to the HD manager in XP, and just create another partition.. i have 3 partitions now, 1 of 260GB (which is being created as i type this), one of 90GB, and another of 40GB.

I'll just use the 260GB partition for libraries like symphonic choirs, DFHS, east west Gold, etc.

The 90GB will be used for program files and installation files...

The 40GB partition will be for backups only, in case of a crash.

So i think it will be allright now.. cheers!

are you referring to your primary partition?

are you using XP Home Edition?

I have drives with 400+ GB sizes with only one partition. my boot drive is 240gb with one partition. I am running XP Professional.

I'm lost as to why you need to segment your drive. I have never heard of this limitation in XP and I manage over 30 XP computers for a living. I have 4 XP machines in my home studio and have never run into this sealing.

are you referring to your primary partition?

are you using XP Home Edition?

I have drives with 400+ GB sizes with only one partition. my boot drive is 240gb with one partition. I am running XP Professional.

I'm lost as to why you need to segment your drive. I have never heard of this limitation in XP and I manage over 30 XP computers for a living. I have 4 XP machines in my home studio and have never run into this sealing.

Weird aint it? Yes, i use XP home.

Im not the only one it seems:

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/191768-12-127gb-problem-current-solutions-work

And i read some other stuff where people had this problem.. i have no clue as well, since i had a 160 GB maxtor drive before this one, same OS, and it worked fine from the beginning.

Oh well.. i just hope all works from now on.. i got another 250GB disc coming in tomorrow.. purely for nuendo audio files and backup.. im set!

I just hope that i can divide stuff like DFHS/symphonic choirs over the three partitions i just made... meaning, i hope i can install the DFHS plugin on the D drive, while i install the 35GB worthy of WAV files on the F drive for example... does this not create conflicts? or no worries?

Drastic solution: download a copy of Win XP sp2 and try...I have windows xp sp2 included and it works well....
No problem: you can separate dfhs programs and wave files

has the Drive letter for this new disc ever been assigned to a CD-ROM. maybe change the drive letter and start over partitioning it.