Computer help!!!!!!

Splat88

Jan 31, 2006
Vegas
I know this isn't a computer forum, but I don't want to post on a forum where I don't really know who's who. Anyway, I think I fried two different hard drives last night. My computer (PC) was running just fine, restarted it, and then it froze up for a while and after a few minutes a prompt comes up on the windows screen saying "primary master fail". I turned the PC off, took out that hard drive and put in an old one I had laying around that already had WIndows XP on it. Fired it up, and no problemo. So then I figured I would hook up the hard drive that failed as a slave and see if I could salvage any data off it. It starts up no problem and I can access data off the bad drive. I start copying data from one drive to another and after 2 minutes the PC freezes. Restart.....transfer again....freezes after 2 minutes. Anyway, I did this until I salvaged everything I wanted. Restarted one last time then a new prompt comes up saying.....Primary master fail again! I turned the computer off and went to unplug the hard drives and the master was hotter than hell.

Does anyone know what has gone wrong? My first guess would be the power supply but I can't tell. I suppose it could be the motherboard too, but now I'm freaked out that I have potentially zapped two hard drives in the course of an hour. I think I might just go out and get a new power supply AND motherboard but I wanted to hear some suggestions first. Thanks!

Oh and to top it all off, I had one of my guitars resting up against my desk behind me while I was fiddling with the computer and when I turned around in my chair, I smacked it a little and it went sliding off the side of the desk at great velocity and landed flush against my wood floor. It hit hard and cracked the neck straight through. FUCK! It didn't snap in two, but its cracked pretty bad. I'll have to take a picture so you guys can see if it can be glued back or if I need a new neck. What a shitcatastrohpe of a night.

uhm uhm uhm...Usually if it is a power supply problem, the pc restart unexpectedly and without warning or it start and restart after some seconds.
I think it's not your case.
It could be the motherboard because it's difficult that 2 hard drives broke in an hour.
Does you pc crash if you do nothing?
You can try to do some hard disk test with HdTune or something similar and see if there are hard disk troubles or sector damaged..
My old hard drive broke after an unexpectedly shut down caused by power supply (there was be a lot of others unexpectedly restart of my system before)..fortunatelly when I've made my new pc, I was succesfull to save 80% of the data.

Let me know man

Couple of simple things you could try before trashing drives and boards....

1. A new/different hard drive cable

if that doesn't work...

2. Try a different power connnector from the power supply (use the one off the CD Rom if you know that works)

and if that doesn't work..

3. If you have one, try a different drive socket on the motherboard even if that means unplugging another drive or the CD drive (you might need to go into the BIOS to tell it which channel is now your boot)

IceT makes some good points, try all that shit and see if that helps, drives failing like that sounds more like the IDE controller on the motherboard to me, than power supply. If the PSU is failing, it generally takes everything with it. See if you can try your HDD's in another PC, as you may find the controller is fucked on the board, and thus can't read the data, and your hdd's may be fine (don't take this as a definite option though. Add me to msn/aim if you want any more help.