Computer Speakers

JoshB

New Metal Member
I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me on purchasing new speakers for my computer. I currently have a set of 2:1 speakers by Boston Acoustics (they used to(and maybe still do?) come with Gateway Pcs). I only have onboard sound (analog output).

I've been looking into these:
Altec Lansing AVS221 2.1 Speakers, Black
Altec Lansing AVS251 5.1 Speakers, Black
Creative Inspire T2900 2.1 Speakers, Black
Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Speakers, Black
Logitech X-220 2.1 Speakers, Black

Is there any point in getting 5.1 if im only using them for muisic and not movies or gaming?

JoshB said:
I was wondering if anyone has any advise for me on purchasing new speakers for my computer. I currently have a set of 2:1 speakers by Boston Acoustics (they used to(and maybe still do?) come with Gateway Pcs). I only have onboard sound (analog output).

I've been looking into these:
Altec Lansing AVS221 2.1 Speakers, Black
Altec Lansing AVS251 5.1 Speakers, Black
Creative Inspire T2900 2.1 Speakers, Black
Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Speakers, Black
Logitech X-220 2.1 Speakers, Black

Is there any point in getting 5.1 if im only using them for muisic and not movies or gaming?
Well since you're using the onboard audio, no i wouldn't worry about 5.1 surround unless you actually plan on getting a better soundcard in the near future. *Some* cds are recorded in 5.1 surround but but enough to warrant that 5.1 purchase anyway.
About 2.1 selection any of those would suffice since the audio that is sent to them is from a (normally) generic device while some pcs have an onboard soundblaster or the like. Either way that type of setup doesn't require hi defnition because even were you to get say... Klipsch speakers you probably wouldn't notice much of an improvement in sound quality with an onboard chip. Hope that helps and maybe someone will offer you a second opinion.

Thanks alot for the advise there.

I was considering getting a nice audigy or something for awhile but I don't really have a need for it and I'm probly going to wait till I get a new system next year sometime. But yeah 2.1 will be fine for me then, so I'll get some decent speakers now cause I cant handle how much these are distorting.