Concerning the mixing of bassguitar - noobie question inside

Thank you very much for your advice guys, this has helped me a lot to improve the sound of the bass!

good luck!

I had the exact same problem, and three of my musictechnology teachers at the university said that the bass is too wild and just to slam it down harder (it was compressing ~6dB at the time). So I slammed it down with multiple compressors on slow settings usually with 2-4:1 ratio or so and about equal amount of makeup gain to attenuation, and a limiter at the end just to even out the peaks and to make sure it doesn't clip. I noticed that after I had totally reduced the dynamic range of the DI-bass by almost 40dB (sic!) it became quite constant but still feeling alive, and they were all happy after that. The 30-40dB might sound a lot, but the thing is that the bass amplifiers and pedals sometimes actually reduce it even more, so just slam it harder.

edit: hope its easier to read now

I had the exact same problem, and three of my musictechnology teachers at the university said that the bass is too wild and just to slam it down harder (it was compressing ~6dB at the time). So I slammed it down with multiple compressors on slow settings usually with 2-4:1 ratio or so and about equal amount of makeup gain to attenuation, and a limiter at the end just to even out the peaks and to make sure it doesn't clip. I noticed that after I had totally reduced the dynamic range of the DI-bass by almost 40dB (sic!) it became quite constant but still feeling alive, and they were all happy after that. The 30-40dB might sound a lot, but the thing is that the bass amplifiers and pedals sometimes actually reduce it even more, so just slam it harder.

edit: hope its easier to read now

good to know I m not the only one slamming the fuck out the bass!