Concerts - 2002

wildfyr

unus spiritus est
Oct 10, 2001
real-time
eyesoffyr.com
i think this forum lacks a "favorite shows of 2002" thread.
what concert(s) of 2002 were your favorites? :^)

got to see Rush, Megadeth and Iced Earth again after several years of NOT seeing them. :headbang:

saw The Chasm and Disinter a few times. they played in Chicago and in Wisconsin last year. \m/

saw Tool for the very first time (whoa! :yow: ) i've been a fan since undertow, too. :err:

AND, of course seeing Sentenced and Dark Tranquillity for the first time ever has to rank high on the list, and it does. :) also, In Flames headlining that show was icing on the cake. not only were they great but i now have a ticket stub bearing their name residing in my stub collection. finally! a milestone. :cool:

your faves?

edit: blaaaaah! i must add the March Dream Theater show when they played ALL of Metallica's Master of Puppets! how could i forget?! :dopey: ? :zzz: ? :D

edit2: damn. i saw Trouble at least 3 times last year as well. no stubbies though. :erk:

vnv nation in vicenza. if you've never spent almost two hours in the front row watching ronan harris you can't understand.
i'd trade any other gig - except dt, for obvious reasons: i love them :) - with a vnv nation show.

rahvin. (through the darkened skies once more)

Originally posted by wildfyr
i remain one of the uninitiated. perhaps that will change?

it depends whether you like electronics, i guess. surely you could see them live since they're known to tour the states. and of course we could arrange for some completely illicit mp3 sharing. :)
hedon's already hooked on the band, too bad he didn't manage to see them live yet. :(

rahvin.

Yes, much needed thread for the DT board:)

I would have to go with Rebecca on this one too...seeing Sentenced and Dark Tranquillity (meeting Mikael Stanne was a treat...a genuinely nice guy)for the first time was such a blast...and yes the fact that In Flames headlined that show was a double bonus (hanging with the In Flames boys was an Unholy blessing:) ).

The other show to top my list would be seeing Arch Enemy at the Pig Pen in Ohio. Though it was the 4th time I had seen them last year...it was damn near the best performance:) .

I have another one...but it's oh so not metal...I will spare myself the criticism on a Monday:D.

I didn't get to see too many shows in 2002. I wish I could have seen Rush and Yes last summer but didn't have the money or transportation at the time. :(

I managed to see Meshuggah and Tool (2nd time)...was a really good show. Meshuggah were really tight live and had a lot of energy. Tool were very good as well, but I thought they were better the first time I saw them in 2001 with Fantomas as they played more pre-Lateralus material.

I also saw Pain of Salvation, Devin Townsend, and Blind Guardian (among other bands) at ProgPower III in Atlanta. PoS put on the best live performance I've ever seen...Daniel was really witty. Devy was really cool and autographed my Terria and Infinity album covers and had a really great stage presence. Much fun. :)

By the way, Alanis Morissette is great...I'd really like to see her some time. I saw a concert on television once, and she had a ton of energy on stage and was twirling around in a circle with her hair flying everywhere and was extremely into the music.

On a semi-related note, I saw Tori Amos live in 2001...she put on an incredibly emotional show. That was easily the best non-metal show I've ever seen. :D

Originally posted by OpethianSoul
By the way, Alanis Morissette is great...I'd really like to see her some time. I saw a concert on television once, and she had a ton of energy on stage and was twirling around in a circle with her hair flying everywhere and was extremely into the music.

Ahhh a praise instead of a flame...kickass! You are right, she is one hell of a performer...and she does her songs a LOT heavier live...I think we have a metal diva in the making...

concert-italy-080802-51.jpg

i really enjoyed

1. amon amarth
2. samael (kickass)
3. sentenced (great live performance)
4. soilwork (thumbs up)

i really hated being at:
1. dimmu borgir (i lost my "tailor-made" earplugs)
2. paradise lost ("clap your hands for satan!" bwhahaha)

arrgggh. yes! Amon Amarth, and Hypocrisy and Soilwork. i attended those too. also, the Megedeth shows were at the end of 2001 not in 2002. ;\ oh well. it was still good to see them again. :)

Here's a rundown of some 2002 shows i have recorded in some way shape or form:

Jan 12 - Amon Amarth, Diabolic, Disinter - Rockhouse USA - Aurora, IL
Jan 25 - Origin, Yakuza, Synnecrosis (Disinter played early & i missed 'em) - Fireside Bowl (Hole) - Chicago
Jan 26 - Trouble, Stonehenge, Smoke, Yakuza - Nite Cap - Chicago
Feb 15 - Disgorge, Corpsevomit, Screaming Afterbirth, Envy the Dead, Morgue Supplier - Rubes -
Feb 16 - Jungle Rot, Kaos Rising, Red River, Ditchwater - Rubes - Harvey, IL
Feb 23 - Fleshgrind, Disinter, Reprobation, Screaming Afterbirth - Rubes - Harvey, IL
Mar 03 - Dimmu Borgir - House of Blues - Chicago
Apr 17 - Iced Earth, In Flames, Jag Panzer - Metro - Chicago
Apr 25 - Beheaded, Leukorreah, Corpsevomit, Reprobation - Rubes - Harvey, IL ("The most brutal show Chicago never saw" - Bill Smith, Forever Underground Records, on the turnout at Rubes that night. :heh: :guh: )
May 04 - Trouble, Stonehenge - Rockhouse USA :Smokedev:
May 08 - Motorhead, Morbid Angel - House of Blues - Chicago
May 15 - Hypocrisy, Soilwork, Killswitch Engage (missed) - Metro - Chicago
May 18 - Trouble, Stonehenge, A Goldfish Named Blade - Penny Road Pub - South Barrington, IL
Jun 08 - The Chasm, et al - Cafe Lura - Chicago
Jun 26 - Aggression Core - Nite Cap - Chicago (which reminds me, I have unscanned pics of this show)
Jul 25 - Corpsevomit, God Help Us, Serebus, Dead Speak - Champs - Burbank, IL
Jul 26 - MILWAUKEE METALFEST XVI
Jul 27 - MILWAUKEE METALFEST XVI
Jul 29 - Arch Enemy, Nile, Hate Eternal, Origin, Gorespawn - Rockhouse USA - Aurora
Aug ?? - Kataklysm, et al - Rockhouse USA
Aug 23 - Slayer, Soulfly, In Flames - The Riviera - Chicago
Aug 25 - Judas Priest - House of Blues - Chicago
Aug 28 - Dream Theater, Joe Satriani, KingsX - The Rosemont Theatre - Rosemont, IL
Aug 29 - Tool, Tomahawk - United Center - Chicago
Sep 01 - Blue Öyster Cult - Hanover Park, IL :) (i missed their Navy Pier show/DVD shoot in June because i was an idiot. d'oh!)
Sep 12 - Black Label Society, Brand New Sin, Slick, Smoke - Syngery II - West Chicago, IL
Sep 22 - In Flames, Killswitch Engage, Dark Tranquillity, Sentenced - The Rave - Milwaukee, WI
Oct 30 - Rush - United Center - Chicago
Nov 08 - Arch Enemy, God Forbid, ... - Rockhouse USA
Nov 16 - Immolation, Vader, Origin, The Beserker (missed) - Rockhouse UsA
Nov 27 - Disinter, Enforsaken. et al - Rockhouse USA - Aurora
Nov 29 - Disinter, Goregasm, et al - Cafe Lura - Chicago

wow. so much \m/ethul this year. :D this list might be too revealing. no wonder i can't get anyone to go to shows with me either, hey ravhe? :lol:

:loco:

Originally posted by wildfyr
no wonder i can't get anyone to go to shows with me either, hey ravhe? :lol:

not really. just by looking at your list i'm already thinking "here's someone who really likes going to shows!" and i'm regretting we're not in the same area, region, time-zone or at least continent :(

rahvin. (condemned to wander off alone)

@wildfyr: you're so lucky. i never saw Rush live and probably i'll never see them, since they won't come to europe anymore. :cry:
Tool is another amazing band that i wanna see live.

for the best concert of 2002 there's no contest: DT (Dream Theater :D ) are not even comparable to other bands. :headbang:

Miolo

* Opeth / Arch Enemy (London)
* Opeth / Decapitated / Without Face (London)
* Opeth (Athens)
* Dark Tranquillity / Sinergy (London)
* Lacuna Coil / Sentenced (London)
* Anathema + some bands I don't give a shit about :p (Crete, Greece)

That's what I saw last year..

I would vote for either Opeth in Greece (best Opeth gig for me)

or Dark Tranquillity (just powerful!)

or Lacuna Coil (performed damn great and one of the bands I was really longing to see, which didn't apply for Opeth or DT as I'd seen them before)