Console questions

::XeS::

Mar 30, 2005
Italy
www.myspace.com
This is probably a stupid question, but it's a couple of day I think about this.
The question is about studio mixers.
Into the professional studios there are a very big consoles with tousand pots ecc...
But, after the recording procedure, when I have all my tracks into my DAW...should I connect every track from computer to console? Because with Daw I have mixer, effects plugin, and all sort of thing...and I don't understand if the studio mixer is necessary only to record or also in the mixing phase..into Daw I have faders for every track and I mix whit these. I don't' understand the utility of mixer if I use a computer.
I know, it's a stupid question but I want to understand :loco:

which works better for you?
which sounds better to you?
Do whatever allows you to get the best results. There are advantages and disadvatages to both which vary greatly on the console and the DAW in question.

In New York, Los Angeles, and Nashville (where the big leagues are) the norm is to run your tracks out individually to channels on the SSL. If you're really good - like Andy or me ;) - you can do great stuff ITB.

If you don't have hi-end converters, hi-end console and hi-end fx gear and stuff, there's no reason to leave the digital domain.

Yep. That works if your soundcard doesn't have enough inputs for how you like to work. It's another item to potentially dirty up the signal chain, but it stops you having plug/unplug various items into the soundcard and also provides phantom power to mics if you need it and don't have a pre-amp. I worked that way for years before getting a card with multiple inputs and a DMP3 pre.

I mix in the digital domain but after many years of mouse mixing I'm looking at getting a motorised midi controller ( Behringer BCF2000) to give back that "fader" feeling .

The odd thing for me is like this: why should I buy a 20.000$ console with thousand pots if I'll use it only as "a passage" from instruments to soundcard? Perhaps because a 20.000$ console have a big ammount of tracks/input/output/quality and I pay for these things, and I need these shit also if I not mix with console

I think you've answered your own question there. If you don't need a lot of inputs and want to do all your "tweaking" within your DAW, you probably don't need one. I can recommend the following article at tweakheadz which talks about different recording setups for different people/purposes (mainly non-metal, but it's useful) : http://tweakheadz.com/rigs.htm

I think the days of the huge mixer is a bit of a legacy item in some ways. In the old days a large mixer was needed for input & mixdown purposes to get from multiple sources onto tape. As engineers and producers developed skills with large mixers, they've retained them and applied them in the digital age. I started home recording in the pre-DAW days (god I feel old) and like the idea of faders for mixing, but my instrument sources and pre-amp bypass the use of a mixer and are plugged directly into the multiple inputs of my soundcard (Delta 1010Lt).