In the Dragon's Den
Mar 31, 2003
Chicago, IL
www.themetalchick.net
Construcdead - The Grand Machinery
Black Lodge Records - BLOD026CD - 9/26/2005
by Amanda J. Carlson
Construcdeadcover.jpg

Construcdead consider themselves a melodic death metal band, but the lack of what I consider ‘melody’ doesn’t exactly fit them into that category. When I think melodic death, I think In Flames, Mors Principium Est, Eternal Tears of Sorrow, and even Kalmah. Construcdead is more along the lines of Carcass or Fear Factory. But all that doesn’t mean this album failed to gain my positive attention.

This album is so heavy, I’m swimming in it as I listen. For the most part, their riffs have flow and strong purpose, keeping their songs on the good track despite some moments of chaos that threaten derailment. The real melodies come in during the short and sparse, yet skillful guitar solos. Songs like “8 Inches of Flesh,” “Treachery,” and the instrumental “Forever Cin” are dead on killer tracks, with some seriously great riffs.

Vocals are where I am most turned off. It takes some real skill to be a successful death metal vocalist, and those who simply scream, like this one, just don’t have it. I think it takes away from the music, and a vocal sound with more growls than screams would compliment it greatly. He does attempt what one might consider ‘clean vocals,’ but it’s not very impressive.

Construcdead is on the fence between plain old death metal and melodic death. I think if they push their melodic skills so much more, they can be an amazing band.

7/10

Official Construcdead website
Official Black Lodge Records website