Contracts or cash?

theblackmoon said:
How much a cd costs in there ????? Usually the producer gets from the first sale on the line, you know, label->distributors->store->you . If you´re right and not joking that means that the cd should cost more than 30 dollars in there.
I'm thinking he maybe meant 20 cents. Seems a little low, but I haven't seen This Godless Endeavor on sale for 69.99 anywhere

RootBoundApollo said:
that's a really shitty story, I can't stand hearing about engineers getting fucked over. So you never got the 2K for the time they were ALREADY IN THE STUDIO?!? ridiculous.

FWIW i don't think many people set out to screw engineers over in that regard...call it ignorance i suppose, a lot of bands just don't have a solid understanding of how such things should work

OzNimbus said:
One book I'm going through right now that's a huge help with the business end of things is "Confessions of a Record Producer" by Moses Avalon. It pretty much lays out how the entire business works.
LINK HERE

I highly recommend this to anyone even remotely interested in the business end of things.

-0z-

I had that once, gave it to a friend and never got it back ... good book, but very much "American". Many things in there are quite different over here in Europe.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Errr, no I was totally joking, implying that bands and labels would have to give extra-money to Andy for each CD sold, but it fell flat, lol :)
Sorry about that ;)

I got it.

Brett - K A L I S I A said:
Errr, no I was totally joking, implying that bands and labels would have to give extra-money to Andy for each CD sold, but it fell flat, lol :)
Sorry about that ;)

I gave my cd (my band) to Vincent from Anathema and I actually have to buy another one for me from the label...

So I actually pay 20$ a cd I produced and mixed... interesting... :ill:

iekobrid said:
Colin: The last point on my list is this, er... this "cosmic clause" thing. "Rights to exploitation on any planet now, or yet to be, known to man."

Rachel: Yeah.

Colin: Well, what does that mean?

Rachel: Oh, that's just a little bit of nonsense. I mean, all it means is, when we land on Mars and find lots of little Martians there who, let's face it, are bound to be into Bad News, we can sell your records to them.

Den: Far out!

Colin: Oh. (Laughs.) Okay, okay. Right, so to sum up the main points again... The contract lasts five years, but you don't have to put out any records if you don't want to, although if you don't want to, we're still under contract to you, and we're not allowed to make any records for anybody else. And we get four and three-quarter percent of ninety percent of a hundred, minus fifteen percent of retail, but there's no advance, which means absolutely no cash whatsoever for us upfront.

Rachel: Yeah, that's about right, yeah.

Colin: Mm. (Inhales thoughtfully, sticks his pen in his mouth, thinks for a second, looks at Rachel, smiles and nods.) Well, alright, I'll sign that.

You forgot to mention it was on "Frilly Pink" records.....

Get your money up front. I'm still trying to collect $120 from a band I recorded back in August!