Converting Kick and Snare Audio tracks to midi

Demonstealer

Jun 30, 2003
India
demonicresurrection.8m.com
Can this be done? I believe it can. Any suggestions on what to use and how to do it? I do believe cubase 7 has some kind of feature but I'm not that high up on the cubase version so just curious if anyone knows any other way to get around to doing it.

Cheers!
Sahil

I think most noisegate plugins can send midi note on open/close events. You can use that as a trigger. But ReaTrigger from the free Reaper stock plug-ins set (http://www.reaper.fm/reaplugs/) will do the job easily.
EDIT: reatrigger is a JS plug-in not a VST, so it will be via ReaJS VST thingy. Should work in any DAW, but I don't know if it's different in usage from Reaper.

Massey DRT does this amazingly well. You could just draw in the midi data but that takes ages and it SUCKS.

I've used ReaGate in Reaper to do this many times. As others have said, I think there are a number of other gates that have a "send MIDI note" function as well. After that it's just a matter of figuring out your DAW's routing to record the MIDI that the gate is sending.

Cubase does this. Open the track in the edit window, create hitpoints, create midi from hitpoints, boom! I use it all the time.

Cubase does this. Open the track in the edit window, create hitpoints, create midi from hitpoints, boom! I use it all the time.

Ha ha I was wondering how many people would post without reading that he's in CUBASE and can't use reatrigger OR massey.