Convince me not to buy a ticket to see Michael Bolton

FuSoYa

Lunarian
Nov 9, 2001
Brooklyn
lifesci.ucsb.edu
The concert is on Sept. 2 at Symphony Hall and I'm seriously thinking of going (my reasons are my own, mind you). So convince me not to (or, argue in support of me) in this thread!

We can't make a cohesive argument either for or against while "[your] reasons are [your] own". If you are secretly receiving ONE MILLION DOLLARS to attend, I don't want to dissuade you.

In order to convince you not to go, I will now prove that Michael Bolton does not exist.

Theorem: Michael Bolton does not exist.

Proof by contradiction:

First we must assume the opposite of the theorem to be true. So, we assume Michael Bolton does exist. However, today is August 8, 2002. I had Cherry-Vanilla yogurt for breakfast, and we are currently out of coffee. Therefore, I must make coffee. If it is true that Michael Bolton exists, then all his albums would bear the name Michael Bolton. However, in the 1970s there were two albums that bore the name Michael Bolotin. Obviously, all cheese from Wisconsin is cheesier than cheese from elsewhere. Therefore, my foot hurts. And thusly, If Michael Bolton exists, Michael Bolotin would have to not exist, which his mother & the album covers would both surely deny.
Therefore, the contradiction of the theorem cannot be true, and the theorem must be true, meaning that Michael Bolton does not exist.
QED

edomllg.jpg

Toby, you clearly know as well as anyone why not to go see Michael Bolton. Unless you were trolling for posts like OMG HE SUX0R, I don't know what you're looking for :)

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Visions of the Emerald Beyond

Cool, I recently got Mahavishnu Orchestra-John McLaughlin - Inner Worlds for free and it has some good stuff on it. However, I do not know much about this band at all....there is also some not so good stuff on it. Any recomendations......

don't insult our gay friends by suggesting such a thing, please! The gay people I know and love tend to have a much better sense of style and taste than Mr. Bolton and his music can present.

Originally posted by BillowOfZeal

Cool, I recently got Mahavishnu Orchestra-John McLaughlin - Inner Worlds for free and it has some good stuff on it. However, I do not know much about this band at all....there is also some not so good stuff on it. Any recomendations......

The first one, Inner Mounting Flame is widely considered the best one- it's the heaviest as far as jamming and stuff; the guys that play on that record all fit phenomenally together, not to mention that the music McLaughlin wrote is slammin'. Jerry Goodman is a great violinist, Jan Hammer (yeah, Miami Vice Jan Hammer) is great on keys, and the whole thing rocks. It's a great album, with just the core group of the 5 guys playing.

If you don't have that one, get it first. After there, Birds of Fire came next- it's good, but hasn't quite captivated my interest yet. Visions of the Emerald Beyond incorporated more vocals, which can be annoying at times, but I love the compositions on it- there's some awesome guitar solos on it, and the funk track (#4 i think) is killer- only like 2 minutes, but it rocks. Go check out some samples on Amazon.com before you buy for fun. VotEB had a slightly different lineup- JeanLuc Ponty on violin, and he's got a different style than Jerry Goodman, but still killer- not all new age like you might think.

Hope that helps. :D

Originally posted by chupe666

The first one, Inner Mounting Flame is widely considered the best one- it's the heaviest as far as jamming and stuff; the guys that play on that record all fit phenomenally together, not to mention that the music McLaughlin wrote is slammin'. Jerry Goodman is a great violinist, Jan Hammer (yeah, Miami Vice Jan Hammer) is great on keys, and the whole thing rocks. It's a great album, with just the core group of the 5 guys playing.

If you don't have that one, get it first. After there, Birds of Fire came next- it's good, but hasn't quite captivated my interest yet. Visions of the Emerald Beyond incorporated more vocals, which can be annoying at times, but I love the compositions on it- there's some awesome guitar solos on it, and the funk track (#4 i think) is killer- only like 2 minutes, but it rocks. Go check out some samples on Amazon.com before you buy for fun. VotEB had a slightly different lineup- JeanLuc Ponty on violin, and he's got a different style than Jerry Goodman, but still killer- not all new age like you might think.

Hope that helps. :D

It sure does...Thanks!!

It looks to me like your avatar needs his scorpion fix...

'Apocalypse' is also a very fine album, more orchestrated and 'epic' than the rest. if you're into heavier guitar stuff, John McLaughlin's solo album 'Devotion' will be to your liking. sorta King Crimsonish before KC even started doing these things in 1973-1974.

Originally posted by FuSoYa
don't insult our gay friends by suggesting such a thing, please! The gay people I know and love tend to have a much better sense of style and taste than Mr. Bolton and his music can present.

I remember (actually i don't) listening to Bolton (when he still had long hair) and i think he wasn't that bad, it's not like he is from Village People (Y.M.C.A. :p)

BTW im homophobic, gay people frighten me... :cry: <--scared

Originally posted by FuSoYa
The concert is on Sept. 2 at Symphony Hall and I'm seriously thinking of going (my reasons are my own, mind you). So convince me not to (or, argue in support of me) in this thread!

I cannot convince you because you definitly should go. Michael Bolton is one of the greatest vocalist of all time. One of the few that the voice spans 4 octave, whatever that means (sorry not a musical theorist by any stretch of the imagination). He does his blue-eyed soul with such passion and depth that it has to be seen to be believed. You have to go!

plus it could be funny as shit to see 40 year old women fainting of emotion in Seeing the handsome Micael :-D

Lobo, if you encounter a terrible monster, say a warmech, and you try to cast an XTER spell, you will be sorely disappointed to find it do nothing.

Then again, even if you cast a proper XFER, you will probably find it does nothing, as well. Carry on, then!