Cool drum video from the Australian band currently in my studio

good GOD. so clean...

JOSH, what are you using to get that EXPLOSIVE type snare drum? me thinks it's the OH's mixed heavily with the room to give the sound and feeling of the stick breaking the surface tension of the snare.... hard to explain but I LOVEEEEEE it.... similar to a White Pony thing.... or a lot of stuff by Tue Madsen (Suicide Silences' CD comes to mind)...

Using my Russian Oktava k012s for overheads. I love those things, and it's almost 50% of what you're hearing on this video.

I'm not sure exatly how we hooked up, they contacted me via email about half a year ago and started talking ideas for the album and the possibility of them flying out. I think they really liked my work on the new Legend album.

Thanks, Sig :) A lot of my snare sounds come from being an anal bastard about tuning and head selection for the type of band I'm working with. I always start by talking to the band and the drummer about the kind of drum tones they like, and then figure out how to tune the kit to match the sounds in their heads. But you're absolutely right, lots of overheads in my mixes.

Wonderfull Drumsound!
Kinda reminded me of one of the SD2.0 Demos and I mean that in a positive way!

Yeah, that china is waaaay busted, haha. It's my old A Custom and thankfully I made a sample of it before it started to fall apart. I will be layering that in once all the drums have been quantized.

@ RandomAwesome:

Very good drum sound, as always.

How about your OHs? I can't see them in the video (except the two 'close' on the splash and mini-china, over the second tom).
Are they really high or what?

Giuseppe [giubis]

The overheads look like they are on the left and right. Very Wide....Kinda neat setup. Did you Make them in phase with the snare and kick?

Yeah, Caleb is a SOLID drummer. All of this new material was still fairly new to him, so we just took our time and played most of the songs in small sections.

The fisheye lens they used in this drum video makes my room look tiny, but it also makes my overheads look WAY spread apart, haha. You can sort of see the one on the right, though a bit camouflaged by the auralex foam on the wall. I almost always put some auralex behind my overheads to curb some of the reflections from the walls/ceiling. The left one is like at the bottom left corner. My overhead mic positioning varies quite a lot from drummer to drummer. I usually try to get a great kit sound with those 2 first and then move on to close mics. The phase between the snare and overheads seem to be working well together, since half of the snare sound is coming from the overheads and far room mics.

So: not so spread overheads (as it seems in the video, due to the fisheye lens) and Auralex behind them.

Have you ever think of trying to mic cymbals with close miking? In this case in particular you had a small amount of cymbals (only charly, two crashes, two chinas and a splash).

Giuseppe [giubis]

Yeah, I have a couple of mics on hios 16" china and 10" splash. Most of the time, large crashes bleed too much, so I never have a problem with them cutting through a mix. Typically I only close-mic smaller cymbals.

^ You mean that is not convenient to close-mic big crashes, due to the fact that they come out really well also from spaced pair overheads?
So you place the overheads as to get a good sound with the full set, not only cymbals. How do you manage with snare bleed in the OHs when you ride them up?

Giuseppe [giubis]

Sounds awesome! I really like drumsounds that are based on a lot of overhead-sound.

I have got one question and I'd really appreciate it a lot, if you could give me advice on this: How do you manage to quantize the drums if you use so much natural overhead sound?

Sounds awesome! I really like drumsounds that are based on a lot of overhead-sound.

I have got one question and I'd really appreciate it a lot, if you could give me advice on this: How do you manage to quantize the drums if you use so much natural overhead sound?

very carefully =D

it's not as hard as you think, but if Josh does slip-edit style, the biggest bitch is the time it takes to edit all the kick in phase with everything else.... most of the time you can get away with a trigger on the kick samples of the actual kit you're recording...