coolest lyricist........

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
I personally am not as big fan of lyrics as most. I think delivery (a vocalist expressing emotion) is more important than words. I can read poetry or a book if I want some kind of great story, but there are bands I think accel at lyrics and are interesting to me. Bands that have my favorite lyrics are:

Queensryche - They are known as "the thinking man's band." Incredible lyrics for the most part. QR pretty much envisioned the computer age long before it happened.

Howe era Metal Church - Metal with a "con-cious" (I can't spell that word) This band has tackled child abuse, poverty, patriotism.... you name it. They are diverse, thoughtful and spiritual.

Vanden Plas - yeah I am the only fan here afaik, but despite being German, I had to research for about three hours to decipher two of their songs that included things ranging from a famous French poet's addiction to absinthe (an alchoholic drink that contained other "natural" ingredients and was said to have hallucinogenic properties) to the dead sea scrolls.

Dio - While he might use "rainbows" a bit too much, his lyrics are very reifined in the sense that everyone will have a different interpretation of the ones that don't have an "obvious" meaning. "Don't alk to Strangers" is a perfect example.

Bryant

Lyrics that make a song great.. hmm
Mercyful Fate - Evil
Not just because I'm addicted to this song like a fanboy, the lyrics are fun aswell to sing along to with friends when your messing around.

Agree with Neil Peart, Lemmy, Geezer Butler. Also Ian Gillan, Martin Walkyier, Alice Cooper, Snowy Shaw.

Well im more of a fan of the more "Lighthearted" lyrics.

Razor - Stabbed in The Back (see Sig)
Razor - Thrashdance "We spit on those who choose to pose, we trash with all the rest"
Vio-lence - Gutterslut "Fuck her in the ass good and hard,After I've chased her through the yard,I don't use vaseline 'cause I like to Fuck dirty and mean"

not very philospohical(?) but they entertain me :Spin:

I would have to say the King, Maiden, and for sure Dio.
King: The storyline keeps the entire album interesting.
Maiden: I'm really thinking of powerslave, great lyrics!
Dio: Never made an album that didn't send a good message.

If were talking strictly lyrical content here, and no quality involved... then I'd have to go with the singer from Rage Against The Machine. He definately played on a lot of words, and attempted to educate the masses while remaining "cool" to listen to. They actually inspired me to read a book called "In The Spirit Of Crazy Horse".. a true story about an American Indian named Loenard Peltier who was unjustly arrested and convicted... and is to this day still sitting in a jail cell for crimes that he didn't commit.

However... if were talking about "cool" lyrical content, then I'd have to say Cradle Of Filth and Soilwork. I really dig the darkness that these bands portray.