Katatonia lyrics (meanings behind them)

Richard Mongler

The dream is dead.
Aug 23, 2008
I guess I have never really been able to understand their lyrics. Love the music, I would say I am a fan, but I just don't understand the lyrics. Songs like leaders, ghost of the sun, etc, I just can't decipher the lyrics. They are very abstract. Are they supposed to be cryptic intentionally? I like to understand the lyrics to music, and I find it annoying when I can't understand lyrics. Anybody else have this problem?

ghost of the sun and the whole album is about mafia or some shit but most other katatonia lyrics are pretty damn good

They tell about the happy things in life and sunshine and how beatufiul summer and the nature is etc.

The only thing related to "mafia" on VE is the title of 'Omerta'.

'Ghost...' has absolutely nothing to do with organized crime.

A couple of tracks have crime as a vague "red thread".

Crime doesn't automatically equal "mafia".

Thanks for clearing that out Jonas! And sorry for making fun of you:erk:
:worship:notworthy:worship:

Oh yeah, I was also wondering...what is the meaning behind the cd inlay of Viva Emptiness?

It sounds like text messaging or something, but I'm not sure. You know, the entire jizz thing.

I don't think Katatonia care for their fans very much. =/

The fact that you're bothered by Katatonia not writing "easy to understand" lyrics like "oooh I am sad. I feel saaaad and I like it when it is raining, because I'm a very sad person and rain makes me sad, oooh" is obviously only bothering you, so no need to write meaningless stuff like this

The fact that you're bothered by Katatonia not writing "easy to understand" lyrics like "oooh I am sad. I feel saaaad and I like it when it is raining, because I'm a very sad person and rain makes me sad, oooh" is obviously only bothering you, so no need to write meaningless stuff like this

Alright, you're right. Perhaps they're just a busy lot, and of course, with art nobody has to explain the art to anyone else. Since it's personal.

On a personal note, you don't have to write intangible lyrics either. (although, this may be the appeal of the band in some ways) Yes, it bothers me. I like to understand things. I don't feel I should be condemned for my personal taste. I'm just asking if anybody else feels that way.

There are lyrics that I consider deep and meaningful, while still getting the point across without being too cryptic.

^but easy-to-understand straight-forward lyrics are usually bad lyrics

and im still in trauma because of how jonas yelled at me :(