Katatonia lyrics (meanings behind them)

^but easy-to-understand straight-forward lyrics are usually bad lyrics

and im still in trauma because of how jonas yelled at me :(

I don't think he yelled at you. If he had yelled at you it would be indicated by an exclamation mark. :)

On another note, I was reading the lyrics to the song "leaders" and I couldn't help but feel that the song is a bit narcissistic, or perhaps arrogant in a way. But, that's just my interpretation. What do you guys think?

What about the song "follower"? Is that Jonas way of saying that the fans are followers? That's what I interpret, and if that is the case, I find that really fucked up. It seems like he is saying that the fans are too stupid and that they have turned him into something else. Maybe I am just reading into it too much. But, that's just what crossed my mind upon first couple of reads.

^i dont know how you got to this, i always got the impression that the follower is the singer (its called "follower" not "followers"), not sure about the second character though

^i dont know how you got to this, i always got the impression that the follower is the singer (its called "follower" not "followers"), not sure about the second character though

Yeah, to me Follower is definately the singer, or to be more specific, the narrator.

And Richard Mongler, it's kinda stupid how you say that Katatonia doesn't care about the fans. I mean, there's not much other forums where the band members come and answer peoples worries. Only ones I know is Opeth, Katatonia and Moonsorrow forums.

Man, I really want Jonas to walk through all his lyrics step by step, explaining and rising a curtain of the real meanings. I guess it will be my New Year present wish... plus Jonas Renkse sofa and Robert Smith pillows :)

Yeah, to me Follower is definately the singer, or to be more specific, the narrator.

And Richard Mongler, it's kinda stupid how you say that Katatonia doesn't care about the fans. I mean, there's not much other forums where the band members come and answer peoples worries. Only ones I know is Opeth, Katatonia and Moonsorrow forums.

Well, it's just the lyrical content makes me wonder if they are suggesting that about the fans. And the fact that they are elusive and don't seem to answer questions often. But, like I said, perhaps they are too busy and stuff with their own life that they don't care to listen to what (followers/fans) have to say. I know they don't owe it to anybody, but they must be some type of rock stars (ego) if they aren't willing to just answer a simple question. It leads me to believe that perhaps they do not care about fans much. That's all.

Also, on "leaders" I get the feeling that he is saying "I sold my emotions and became known, and you don't have the balls to sell yourself out and to portray your emotions to the masses"

I didn't say they didn't care about the fans, I was just suggesting that perhaps they don't care "very much". That's all. Then again, I have no idea how much fan mail or emails the band gets, so I can't really say how popular they are.

or maybe they just dont come home every day and be like "Hmm I wonder if that cool guy Richard Mongler has any new questions to me. The Last question: 'What does the word follower mean?' was so coolio"

or maybe they just dont come home every day and be like "Hmm I wonder if that cool guy Richard Mongler has any new questions to me. The Last question: 'What does the word follower mean?' was so coolio"

I never asked what the word follower meant. Where did you pull this from?

I am pretty cool though, aren't I? :cool:

Alright, you're right. Perhaps they're just a busy lot, and of course, with art nobody has to explain the art to anyone else. Since it's personal.

On a personal note, you don't have to write intangible lyrics either. (although, this may be the appeal of the band in some ways) Yes, it bothers me. I like to understand things. I don't feel I should be condemned for my personal taste. I'm just asking if anybody else feels that way.

There are lyrics that I consider deep and meaningful, while still getting the point across without being too cryptic.

You must -like you pointed out yourself- respect that Katatonia doesn't like to explain their lyrics very much, so they become more subject to interpretation and thus more personal to the listener.
Also you must know that they usually have more things to worry about than a random person on the forum asking lots of little questions. Especially when you could make a book out of the answer. It's a bit egocentric to think they would answer everything that would be asked.

You must -like you pointed out yourself- respect that Katatonia doesn't like to explain their lyrics very much, so they become more subject to interpretation and thus more personal to the listener.
Also you must know that they usually have more things to worry about than a random person on the forum asking lots of little questions. Especially when you could make a book out of the answer. It's a bit egocentric to think they would answer everything that would be asked.

Well, that's just my interpretation of the newer lyrics. I could be wrong, and I really hope I am, because it would be sad if they honestly felt that way about the people who support them.

Well, that's just my interpretation of the newer lyrics. I could be wrong, and I really hope I am, because it would be sad if they honestly felt that way about the people who support them.

So now you're interpreting that Katatonia don't care about their fans from the lyrics you don't understand?? :err:

I think I can say this without thaaaat much of doubt, but yeah, I think Katatonia kind of care for the people that love their music and support them and help them on their way to leading a life filled with what they love.....

So now you're interpreting that Katatonia don't care about their fans from the lyrics you don't understand?? :err:

I think I can say this without thaaaat much of doubt, but yeah, I think Katatonia kind of care for the people that love their music and support them and help them on their way to leading a life filled with what they love.....

Weren't you the one that was just telling me about personal interpretation?

I am simply sharing my interpretation.

If that is what they want the fans to do. You know, interpret their lyrics? That is what I am doing.

If you disagree with my interpretation that is cool.

All I was saying is that "this is how I see it", and if they encourage the fans to come up with their own "personal interpretation" for their lyrics, why should I be condemned for my own interpretation?

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having people interpret your lyrics?

I never said that it was an absolute. It was just my perspective.

Weren't you the one that was just telling me about personal interpretation?

I am simply sharing my interpretation.

If that is what they want the fans to do. You know, interpret their lyrics? That is what I am doing.

If you disagree with my interpretation that is cool.

All I was saying is that "this is how I see it", and if they encourage the fans to come up with their own "personal interpretation" for their lyrics, why should I be condemned for my own interpretation?

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of having people interpret your lyrics?

I never said that it was an absolute. It was just my perspective.

Yes I was, but this interpretation goes above (bellow?) my imagination.
And I'd like to get it out of the world if possible.

Of course it's your interpretation and all, but don't you think it's plain preposterous to think like that? Seriously, I see no logic explanation of ANY sort why a band would flame their fans in a song -.-

Yes I was, but this interpretation goes above (bellow?) my imagination.
And I'd like to get it out of the world if possible.

Of course it's your interpretation and all, but don't you think it's plain preposterous to think like that? Seriously, I see no logic explanation of ANY sort why a band would flame their fans in a song -.-

Well, considering their lyrics aren't very "logical" to me, and they are very abstract then perhaps you are not much of a thinker.

No, I don't think it's preposterous to think like that. Human beings are capable of being very unique. The mind is too complex to think that anything is preposterous.

Considering the lyrics are as abstract as they are, how is my interpretation any more crazy than anybody else's?

The reason for flaming their fans? Because fans are "followers" and have no self identity. Being a fan means that you sacrifice your own individual identity, and perhaps Katatonia is about finding yourself? So, lyrically they are telling the masses that they are followers for saying stuff like "Oh my God, Jonas you are a GOD" and it makes them look down upon the people who say stupid stuff like that.

^can you interpret line by line of the song "Follower" and give basis to that theory? because i seriously cant understand how u went for that direction

^can you interpret line by line of the song "Follower" and give basis to that theory? because i seriously cant understand how u went for that direction

It's more or less an interpretation of the lyrics to follower and leaders together. On their myspace page they have as a headline "leaders" which leads me to believe that the song is about the band and that they see themselves as leaders. Follower is about the people who follow the band and support the band and are fans.

"You have changed me"

"So when you come
I'm too unprepared to come along
I hold your hand so hard my knuckles turn white"

It sounds like he is saying that when you come to see him live, he isn't prepared to be thwarted and heralded as a "God", and that you idolizing him is like a burden to him, because he feels that he is now holding your hand and that you are being a follower and not a leader.

Generally speaking, it seems like "you" would be referring to me, or "us". So, it's little lines like that which cause me to start thinking personally, about myself, and perhaps us.

Well, considering their lyrics aren't very "logical" to me, and they are very abstract then perhaps you are not much of a thinker.

No, I don't think it's preposterous to think like that. Human beings are capable of being very unique. The mind is too complex to think that anything is preposterous.

Considering the lyrics are as abstract as they are, how is my interpretation any more crazy than anybody else's?

The reason for flaming their fans? Because fans are "followers" and have no self identity. Being a fan means that you sacrifice your own individual identity, and perhaps Katatonia is about finding yourself? So, lyrically they are telling the masses that they are followers for saying stuff like "Oh my God, Jonas you are a GOD" and it makes them look down upon the people who say stupid stuff like that.

Well ok there's some reason, but in that case flaming fans in general would be totally wrong. Sure there's people like that, but especially Katatonia fans are really not like that and I'm sure they know it.
Lets assume some lyrics áre about that, then STILL it would be most likely written in a very specific mood about very generalized types of people and would in no way mean that they don't care about their fans.

A band must be really messed up if they don't care for the people that love their songs where the band put their heart and soul into... I don't think Katatonia are like that...

Well ok there's some reason, but in that case flaming fans in general would be totally wrong. Sure there's people like that, but especially Katatonia fans are really not like that and I'm sure they know it.
Lets assume some lyrics áre about that, then STILL it would be most likely written in a very specific mood about very generalized types of people and would in no way mean that they don't care about their fans.

A band must be really messed up if they don't care for the people that love their songs where the band put their heart and soul into... I don't think Katatonia are like that...

When we generalize people we categorize people as all. And in the case for those lyrics I think that they are generalizing the people who go to their shows and say stuff like "You are God" because they think it is narrow minded and herd mentality behavior.

Maybe I am just a very strange thinker myself. Who knows?

When we generalize people we categorize people as all. And in the case for those lyrics I think that they are generalizing the people who go to their shows and say stuff like "You are God" because they think it is narrow minded and herd mentality behavior.

Maybe I am just a very strange thinker myself. Who knows?

Well no, this is very logical. I could write negative lyrics about those kind of people myself too, but it's not fair to categorize them as fans, because there's much more "good fans" out there than those "worshipers". Maybe this is what caused this argument.