Coroner - Grin (Cover/ Recabinet 4)

akarawd

Aug 30, 2004
www.ogregomixmaster.net
Hi all,

Here's cover I did (vocals,bass,guitars, production) of
Coroner's Grin.

The guitars are recabinet 4 (serpent lead through the redline4 Tropicana IR).
The samples on the drums are from RevoltStudios / VR music group.

Hope you like it
Than

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,
Thx for multi! My try with Mesa Mark V.

You're more than welcome Gregor, I like how the sound is really "open" with
your profile !

One of best thrash band ever!! thank's for the cover

A small Die by my hand for next time??

My pleasure Exoced ! I was thinking of doing Sirens but you never know …. some interesting covers coming soon, that's for sure.

Cheers
Than

Can you tell us something more specific about your Tracking. I find the DI's very good and it makes it almost impossible not to get a good Sound via Reamping. Would be interesting for me to know what Guitars and Bass for example you used.
I am having myself a lot of trouble with my DI's and Reamps. They all sound a little Muddy/Boxy when reamped. It doesn't seem to be my Guitar cause a much better One also sounds a bit like Mud. Maybe it's my Audiointerface at Home or my DI-Box.

Heavy Greetz

Can you tell us something more specific about your Tracking. I find the DI's very good and it makes it almost impossible not to get a good Sound via Reamping. Would be interesting for me to know what Guitars and Bass for example you used.
I am having myself a lot of trouble with my DI's and Reamps. They all sound a little Muddy/Boxy when reamped. It doesn't seem to be my Guitar cause a much better One also sounds a bit like Mud. Maybe it's my Audiointerface at Home or my DI-Box.

Heavy Greetz

Hi EachHit,

First of all, I'm really pleased you find the DIs usable.
To answer your question :

Guitar : Gibson Les Paul Custom Zakk Wylde Camo (fresh strings) ==> Great River NV1 (using NO gain to ensure the cleanest signal possible) ==> RME converters ==> Mac Pro.

Bass : Warwick 5 $$ NT, exact same chain.

Every piece counts, it really does.

Out of curiosity, what is your recording chain ?

Hi EachHit,

First of all, I'm really pleased you find the DIs usable.
To answer your question :

Guitar : Gibson Les Paul Custom Zakk Wylde Camo (fresh strings) ==> Great River NV1 (using NO gain to ensure the cleanest signal possible) ==> RME converters ==> Mac Pro.

Bass : Warwick 5 $$ NT, exact same chain.

Every piece counts, it really does.

Out of curiosity, what is your recording chain ?

My Setup at Home isn't very good. I only got a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Interface. But I don't use the Hi-Z Inputs any more. I use a Palmer PAN01 DI-Box and go in the the XLR Inputs.
The best Guitar I use is a Yamaha Drop6 Baritone Guitar with Seymouc Duncan PU (JB).
i got another Setup in the Rehearsal Room where I can use a Behringer X32. But never recorded Guitars there, only Drums.

I was thinking about some new Equipment at Home to record Guitars and Bass, but I think I don't want to spend so much money for a Preamp. Next week I wanted to have a look for a new Guitar.

Heavy Greetz

My Setup at Home isn't very good. I only got a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB Interface. But I don't use the Hi-Z Inputs any more. I use a Palmer PAN01 DI-Box and go in the the XLR Inputs.
The best Guitar I use is a Yamaha Drop6 Baritone Guitar with Seymouc Duncan PU (JB).
i got another Setup in the Rehearsal Room where I can use a Behringer X32. But never recorded Guitars there, only Drums.

I was thinking about some new Equipment at Home to record Guitars and Bass, but I think I don't want to spend so much money for a Preamp. Next week I wanted to have a look for a new Guitar.

Heavy Greetz

Does the recording chain including the Palmer yield better results ?

I was looking at the guitar you mentioned and although I am not familiar with it, it might be the primary source of your problems (provided it's the one I saw online). Investing in a decent axe will save you a lot of hair tearing.

As for the DI… If I were buying one today (given that I am 85% happy with my converters), I'd go for the Neve RNDI (http://rupertneve.com/products/rndi/)

Cheers,
Than

Does the recording chain including the Palmer yield better results ?

I was looking at the guitar you mentioned and although I am not familiar with it, it might be the primary source of your problems (provided it's the one I saw online). Investing in a decent axe will save you a lot of hair tearing.

As for the DI… If I were buying one today (given that I am 85% happy with my converters), I'd go for the Neve RNDI (http://rupertneve.com/products/rndi/)

Cheers,
Than

Yeah the Recording Chain includes the Palmer DI. In the Beginning I was only using the Hi-Z from the Focusrite but I had the problem that the Waveform got chopped even if the Interface wasn't clipping. That's why I used a DI. Maybe the DI Box and the Interface is the Cause why all my Guitar Sounds tend to sound boxy when reamped no matter which Amp I use.
This should be the Baritone Guitar I own:
http://www.musicworld.bg/en/c_368/i_8424/YAMAHA_GUITARS_RGX_420D6.html

That's my better Guitar. I got a few other One's which aren't quite as good.
I wouldn't buy any of my owned Guitars again cause nowadays I think I have a better judgment what I want and what sounds good.
And I would definetey not buy a Guitar with a Tremolo.

Heavy Greetz

Yeah the Recording Chain includes the Palmer DI. In the Beginning I was only using the Hi-Z from the Focusrite but I had the problem that the Waveform got chopped even if the Interface wasn't clipping. That's why I used a DI. Maybe the DI Box and the Interface is the Cause why all my Guitar Sounds tend to sound boxy when reamped no matter which Amp I use.
This should be the Baritone Guitar I own:
http://www.musicworld.bg/en/c_368/i_...RGX_420D6.html

That's my better Guitar. I got a few other One's which aren't quite as good.
I wouldn't buy any of my owned Guitars again cause nowadays I think I have a better judgment what I want and what sounds good.
And I would definetey not buy a Guitar with a Tremolo.

Heavy Greetz

I was looking at the wrong guitar sorry. Maybe if you could take it to a friend's and see what results you get ? And the same with your setup ? That way you will put your mind at rest 'cause you will pinpoint the problem and therefore you will be at a better position of knowing what to invest in first.

As for the distorted signal… a mismatch between the HiZ and your high output pups I guess… it's not uncommon (unfortunately) I had the same issue with the re-issue of the audient mico.

I was looking at the wrong guitar sorry. Maybe if you could take it to a friend's and see what results you get ? And the same with your setup ? That way you will put your mind at rest 'cause you will pinpoint the problem and therefore you will be at a better position of knowing what to invest in first.

As for the distorted signal… a mismatch between the HiZ and your high output pups I guess… it's not uncommon (unfortunately) I had the same issue with the re-issue of the audient mico.

When I got my new Guitar I will try to test things out and compare where I can get good Results with my DI Recording.
Will be quite some work I guess but hopefully I can figure out how to get the best results and if I need some new equipment.

Another Question to the Multis from Grin. Did you cut up the Vocals during editing?

Heavy Greetz

I made sure there wasn't any breathing/noise in between phrases, so yeah.

I heard it when I was Soloing the Vocals. Some of them are pretty fast faded Out.

I think I am done with Editing and Stuff and can start to Mix.

Hopefully I won't dislike my Mix too much when I am done.

Heavy Greetz