Countdown To Extinction is overated

I think it is the best 80s thrash sound, because it captures the mood and time, whilst Master Of Puppets sounds awesome, and possibly better, it doesn't sound like 80s thrash, it just sounds like awesome heavy metal. The same goes with, say, The Haunted or Iced Earth, they have a great sound, but it isn't the same.

Well i reckon Countdown rules!

how could you not like Captive Honour or This Was my life !

you would have to be a fag , and as for SFSGSW how shit is the cover of Anarchy for the uk? Its embarrassing !

Here is a quote from mustain on SFSGSW

"For all intents and purposes, that album was a fucking disaster. I wanted to kick [drugs], I didn't want to kick, I wanted to kick, didn't want to kick, I was up at Woodstock and I was sick and everything was really crazy. And this guy, [co - producer] Paul Lani, would be out in the woods, peeling apples and coring them and feeding them to the fucking deer while we were trying to make a record. And I'm thinking, 'You know, deer eat fucking apple skin. They don't care that it's peeled and cored!' We had to remix that album twice and still never ended up with a good mix; it's just totally buried under reverb. That's a record I would love to go back and remix, but you know, when is enough enough? When Jimmy Page went back and redid those songs for the Zeppelin remasters, that, to me, was sacrilege - I mean, I'm used to hearing all those little noises." (Mustaine, 1997)

Nice quote!
So Far So Good contains Mustaines best vocals. I feel it's the only album where he has actually sounded 'good'.

Blitzy - it'll be interesting to hear your opinions after the remixes come out. I know you've always liked the reverb on SFSGSW, but really most people can't stand it. Clarity is a sign of a good production and in this regard SFSGSW is awful. Dave even posted recently on the Deth BB that the reason there is so much reverb there is because they were so wasted when they recorded it that the performances were not up to scratch, so they had to bury it in reverb.

But in terms of clarity CTE is superb. Sure it lacks a bit of grunt, but I don't think I've ever heard a more clinically tight album... and I'm talking nun's cunt type tightness!!! And remember this was before the days of digital editing. To get that level of perfection in playing is phenomenal. Hopefully with the remix it'll add the low end balls that it needs and you might be swayed a bit.

But Symphony, Sweating Bullets, This Was My Life and Ashes in Your Mouth are absolute classics, Skin of My Teeth, Countdown to Extinction and Captive Honour are very underrated, and every other track (perhaps barring Psychotron as that song just shits me) are all very good in their own right.

On a side note the RIP remix should be interesting. I've always thought that it sounded pretty good as it is, but apparently they've made the drums sound way better which is gonna be cool, cos that's easily Nick's best drum performance and is something I definitely I can't wait for.

Cooperman said:
But Symphony, Sweating Bullets, This Was My Life and Ashes in Your Mouth are absolute classics, Skin of My Teeth, Countdown to Extinction and Captive Honour are very underrated, and every other track (perhaps barring Psychotron as that song just shits me) are all very good in their own right.

You didnt mention ARCHITECTURE OF AGGRESSION! Why?

Spiff said:
You sound just like Troops when he talks about glam, Blitzy. :)
Haha I was thinking that as I read his post. :)

I love Countdown. Symphony of Destruction is an awesome song, and it's in good company. Love to hear RIP remastered. The production is the only thing that lets it down a bit. Listen to it after listening to Countdown, and you'll notice it's way quieter.

spawn said:
You didnt mention ARCHITECTURE OF AGGRESSION! Why?
It's a cool song... on par with Foreclosure and High Speed Dirt... but the others grab me more. It's probably my 2nd or 3rd least liked song off CTE - but still good because the album is of such a high quality.

I call you a liar Cooperman. A LIAR! Architecture Of Aggression is one of the top 4 tracks! :)