Couple tracks from a band I'm producing.

Jordon

Sep 14, 2008
Chicago
I've been working with a local Chicago band called Daylight Dawns for the past month. Here are 3 of the pre-production tracks. They'll be going in to track an EP after the new year as soon as the studio I'm going to be working out of is completed. These guys tune to G#...talk about having fun getting everything to sit decently, especially bass!

"One Open"
I co-wrote this with the bassist, Nick, and the singer, Ed. I'm doing backing vocals on it, and I played 80% of the guitar. Drums were done with Addictive and stacked with different samples for the sake of simplicity in preproduction. I wrote the string arrangement for them as well. This is by far my favorite of the 3. Aptly named for the abundance of one-open riffs on the low string.

"Losing Hope"
Another track with me doing some backing vocals and synths. Same drums as the previous track, different snare samples.

"Wrong"
Still kinda on the fence with this song. Not that it's bad..I just don't think it's as strong as the other two.

All guitars were my Paul Reed Smiths or a Dean Soltero or Gibson Les Paul Studio through either POD Farm or the SoloC and LE456 sims through Voxengo with different cab impulses. Bass was Ampeg SVX with the bassist's usual settings on a SVT 4-pro slightly tweaked. Vocals were an AKG AT3035 straight in. Like I said, it's just preproduction, so I'm not 100% concerned with tones at the moment. This was totally in-the-box with PT8LE, a bunch of Waves plugins and some free plugs as well. By the way, Windows 7 Ultimate seems to be running as smooth as butter with PT8LE in big sessions (40+tracks) on my laptop, where I do most of my editing and mixing. Haven't had one error in the week I've been running it.

Plenty of work to do still. Got several more tracks to demo out and a few more that have to be written or finished. Gonna get by band's singer in to work with their vocalist a bit in the next month or so. He came from a ska/reggae band, so this is a bit of a leap for him.

Comments welcome!