Cover songs

Obtuse

Feb 4, 2008
Vancouver
In lieu of a recent article which chronicled the best and worst cover songs of all time, I figured, why not open the discussion up on here and find out what you guys think? So, what are your favourites? Least favourites? These are mine:

Best: Death - Painkiller. Chuck's vocals on here are :OMG:
Worst: Cradle of Filth - Hell Awaits. Everything about it sucks. Everything.

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...rlds_worst_cover_song/articleshow/3156740.cms

Actually, I was very impressed by the Metallica - For Whom The Bell Tolls cover by Moonsorrow (From their upcoming EP Tulimyrsky). I personally think it's fantastic.

Can't really remember any bad covers at the moment, cause I tend to forget the names of bands/artists who do shitty covers. I think few occasions when I've accidentally watched Some form of the "Idols" show, have been pretty horrid. (I'm talking about the finals too)

Best:
Johnny Cash - Hurt (also include The Mercy Seat)

I also think all the Beatles covers on the I Am Sam soundtrack are brilliant.

Worst:
I've heard a few terrible versions of Boston's More Than A Feeling
Actually I could list so many here.

Usually a cover needs to take me to a different emotional level as the original. For example I love my Floyd, but I absolutely love Sparklehorse's cover of Wish You Were Here on the Lords of Dogtown soundtrack.

And it pissed me off when Black Eyed Peas used Misirlou for their song. BAH

I recently noticed that by now I have a bunch of "Cover" albums in my collection. "Cover" meaning "open re-interpretations of songs in a different musical context or style". There's some great stuff out there. Here's my favourites:

Paul Anka - Rock Swings. Great covers of Rock/Pop songs in an elegant Swing style. Much better than Robbie Williams' "Swing when you're winning".
Hellsongs - a Swedish band playing "Lounge Metal", ie. they cover Metal songs in a hippie/campfire style.
Senor Coconut - a German band covering Rock tunes like "Smoke on the Water" in a smooth Latin style.
Global Kryner - an Austrian band covering Rock and Pop tunes in "Oberkrainer" style. Fear not, for it is totally great!
Lisa Wahlandt - Marlene. A German jazz singer doing Marlene Dietrich songs in a kind of mellow, jazzy, drum'n'bass style. Verrryy Nice!
Fantômas - The Director's Cut. One of Mike Patton's projects. This one contains mostly metallic covers of horror movie themes over the decades.

Metallica related stuff (you'll probably all know):

Beatallica - A band playing Beatles songs in Metallica style. Completely hilarious. On the one hand, it's a parody, on the other it's musical genius, so I list it here.
Apocalyptica - need I say something? Finnish cello band that startet out by covering Metallica completely on cello.
Metallica's own "Garage Inc." - Actually, some pretty good stuff on there. From hilarious takes like "Tuesday's gone" to disturbing stuff like "Lover man"

Why do I dwell on this so much? Because I think that this kind of music challenges your musical beliefs. It broadens your view and might make you appreciate music you might have written off as worthless or pointless before. Because it shows how close all of this different stuff is still related.

Best, to be a nice opeth fanboi:
Opeth - Den Standinga Resan

Worst:
One of the worst I have ever heard is
Cradle of Filth - Fear Of The Dark.
As someone else already stated, I don't usually remember bad covers, but this one I rember was hilariously bad.

Ironically the Cradle Of Filth cover of "Hallowed be thy name" is bloody brilliant - dare I say it better then the maiden version - I thought the Machine head version recorded for Kerrang sucked... Robbs vocals are not made for it :(
*just for the record im not some cradle fanboy :p - but I think thats a great cover*

In lieu of a recent article which chronicled the best and worst cover songs of all time, I figured, why not open the discussion up on here and find out what you guys think? So, what are your favourites? Least favourites? These are mine:

Best: Death - Painkiller. Chuck's vocals on here are :OMG:
Worst: Cradle of Filth - Hell Awaits. Everything about it sucks. Everything.

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...rlds_worst_cover_song/articleshow/3156740.cms

Am I the only one who thinks chucks vocals are quite bad? Don't get me wrong, I love death, but chucks vocals gets a bit irritating sometimes, especially on the painkiller cover.

As for the cover I find the best, I can't say exactly but for now the one that comes to mind is:
The sound of Silence - Nevermore (originally by Simon and garfunkel)

The worst is probably going to be one of those horrendous ACDC covers by shakira or anastacia.

It's not "bad" as such, but I'm not really fond of In Flames' cover of Metallica's "Eye of the Beholder", the vox partially ruin it for me. However Ensiferum did a pretty good cover of Metallica's "Battery".

I also love Ulver's cover of Sabbath's "Solitude", although I can't fully compare it to the original.

The Apples - Killing In The Name Of (never thought a Rage Against The Machine cover WITHOUT GUITARS could be so awesome)

Warrel Dane - Patterns (I wouldn't mind if he, or Nevermore, would cover Simon And Garfunkel on every album)

Am I the only one who thinks chucks vocals are quite bad? Don't get me wrong, I love death, but chucks vocals gets a bit irritating sometimes, especially on the painkiller cover.

As for the cover I find the best, I can't say exactly but for now the one that comes to mind is:
The sound of Silence - Nevermore (originally by Simon and garfunkel)

The worst is probably going to be one of those horrendous ACDC covers by shakira or anastacia.

MAybe, I think Chuck's vocals on the cover are pretty good, as for Nevermore, the Sanctuary cover of White Rabbit is great too.