Cover songs

A couple of covers that immediately come to mind because they slay the originals:

Jimi Hendrix - All Along the Watchtower
CSN&Y - Woodstock

And it's not llike Bob Dylan and Joni Mitchel are slouches. It's just that they way these songs were re-imagined became the standard. I mean, how often do you hear the original versions of those?

As mentioned in a different thread, the Limp Biskit cover of Behind Blue Eyes is abominable.

More covers are bad than good, imo. A good cover is hard to find. The artist really has to make it their own.

Well, they certainly have their own take on it, but I think it takes a beautiful song (one of the best) and makes it gloomy as fuck. It sounds...ironic, I guess.

I think it takes a beautiful song (one of the best) and makes it gloomy as fuck. It sounds...ironic, I guess.

That's what I love about it!! Such a perfect ode to post-millenial alienation and pessimism. And, I think it's a brilliant example of a band 're-imagining' (no pun intended) a song fit their own (in this case relentlessly bleak) sound world.

Not that it compares to the original, of course.

Amorphis - Light My Fire (The Doors)
Pantera - Planet Caravan (Black Sabbath)
Fear Factory - Cars (Gary Numan)
Cannibal Corpse - No Remorse (Metallica)
Metallica - Die Die My Darling (The Misfits)
Six Feet Under - entire Back In Black album (AC/DC)

Some that I like:
Rodrigo y Gabriela's covers of Orion and Stairway to Heaven
Ulver- Solitude
Between the Buried and Me- Blackened
Jimi Hendrix- Killing Floor (though I haven't heard the original, I just read this was a cover song)
Opeth- Soldier of Fortune
Therion's O Fortuna was just alright
Cream- Crossroads
Shadows Fall- Welcome to the Machine

Some that I don't like:
Megadeth's cover of Anarchy in the UK, the original wasn't much better either :puke:

oh yeah, speaking of covers, I mentioned Between the Buried and Me, but I haven't heard the rest of that album with cover songs besides Blackened.
Is it worth getting?

Tool - No Quarter
The Stranglers - Walk on By
Type O Negative - Black Sabbath

All great examples of bands reworking songs to fit their sound, and while all these songs were classics in their original form (though not such a huge fan of 'Walk on By') I feel that the covers are actually superior.