Covering Opeth

Evil Ernie

Ungodly freak, defiler
Feb 5, 2004
Montreal, Canada
I'm in an Opeth cover band just for the fun of it and we're opening a little amateur gig in about a month. We will play Bleak, Hope Leaves and The Drappery Falls. We plan on learning more songs for later gigs. Deliverance would be the next on the list.
The boyz also want to play Master's Apprentices and Blackwater Park, but I think we have enough BWP-D1-D2 stuff and that Demon of the Fall would be better. :hotjump:

Which songs would you like to cover/ear a band cover?
The songs need to be relatively easy since the 2nd guitarist isn't that good. Songs like The Lepper Affinity and The Moor would be a little hard.

Yeah, my band and I are gonna cover The Amen Corner, now that is gonna be interesting...Id find some better guitarist and do some covers from Orchid/Morningrise, like we've played a cover of The Night and the Silent Water, it's a great live song.

Evil Ernie said:
I'm in an Opeth cover band just for the fun of it and we're opening a little amateur gig in about a month. We will play Bleak, Hope Leaves and The Drappery Falls. We plan on learning more songs for later gigs. Deliverance would be the next on the list.
The boyz also want to play Master's Apprentices and Blackwater Park, but I think we have enough BWP-D1-D2 stuff and that Demon of the Fall would be better. :hotjump:

Which songs would you like to cover/ear a band cover?
The songs need to be relatively easy since the 2nd guitarist isn't that good. Songs like The Lepper Affinity and The Moor would be a little hard.

Anybody need a drummer, located in NYC, for this matter? I am looking to cover Opeth, Lopez is my favorite drummer and has been since I started.

Moonlapse said:
Get a better guitarist and cover White Cluster, Serenity Painted Death and The Funeral Portrait :)... not to mention Epilogue.

Yeah SPD is definetly on my priority list. I'm not a big fan of White Cluster though.

Deliverance is an awesome song to play...

How about A Fair Judgement..?

The finger picking part is a challenge (for me at least, I suck at finger picking), and the solos would be insane...

I have been playing quite a few Opeth songs with my band's 2nd guitarist (i do the vocals and lead guitar), namely Godhead's Lament, Benighted, The Leper Affinity, The Drapery Falls, Deliverance, Master's Apprentices and most of Damnation. We've had plans to complete the project with members of a local goth-rock band.

Anyway.
The Leper Affinity & The Moor aren't so hard to learn, you just need to practice. They haven't got any impossible things in them, just some fast stuff that I believe your 1st guitarist can play. From Damnation I think that To Rid the Disease brings a nice contrast to Hope Leaves and is a diverse song in its own rights.
But if I should pick just one song for you to play, I would pick Godhead's Lament. It's a killer!

Good luck with your cover band!

Darfus said:
Anybody need a drummer, located in NYC, for this matter? I am looking to cover Opeth, Lopez is my favorite drummer and has been since I started.

If you are willing to come up to Albany a whole lot, then I may have a use for you. Then again there's another drummer I have in mind as well.

Bah, I still need a good drummer and 2nd guitarist in my band... Any Dutch people here who play? :p

Well, and for you Ernie, the best songs are already mentioned I think, but I'd like to add Forest Of October, nice song, and fun to play. As are beforementioned Godhead's Lament, Deliverance, Damnation stuff, etc. My current favorites btw are Nectar and Karma, amazing songs too.

Demon of the Fall would be excellent for a live show. It definitely gets the crowd going, and it's extremely easy to play compared to most Opeth songs. If you want to impress, seriously take the time to learn The Moor or Godhead's Lament. Those two have enough of a mix between the harsh and clean segments to really show what you're all about.

RavenousDaemon said:
If you are willing to come up to Albany a whole lot, then I may have a use for you. Then again there's another drummer I have in mind as well.

Nah, impossible. I have a drumset and it's 3 hours away.

my band jams out ending credits and windowpane all the time. we cover in my time of need at acoustic shows and will hopefully be doing moonlapse vertigo or serenity painted death. i'd love to cover to bid you farewell, but the song is just too perfect to cover, as my guitarist says.

one day my band is going to cover the entire MAYH album at a gig...probably next summer.

We did Master's Apprentices and Drapery at a battle of the bands last June...everyone else played punk and nu metal. It was awesome.

He men,

If any of you needs a guitar player for playing Opeth... i<m intressted....
I did a few tabs for BWP album...I like to play Opeth....solo or rythm...
I live in montreal...Give feedback....

:hotjump:

Sinistas said:
I'd personally like to cover Bleak :p

It's a pretty cool song to play, but it his hard to give a live interpretation of it in all its glory. There are so many overdubs and such in this song that you can hardly manage to recreate the original's atmosphere.