Coyote review

Xfn

New Metal Member
May 28, 2010
Because I jested about a bad Kings of Leon sounding like a good Kayo Dot, I want to offer an olive branch to Toby and Crew.

I reviewed Coyote when it first came out on Amazon's dot co dot uk site. The review was reactionary to my first couple of listens (admitedly, relaxed listens, not analytical or with any intent), and isn't perfectly observed.

It is however, complimentary.

[ame]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Coyote-Kayo-Dot/dp/B0036V0W44/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279286645&sr=8-1[/ame]

"Review title: I found this so disturbing and moving.

Kayo Dot have another sterling release here.

No where near as difficult as Blue Lambency Downward but some how a lot more uncomfortable.

The albums subject matter is realised absolutely (Good friend Yuko Sueta's story of terminal illness and a journey through solitude and suffering), and anyone who can connect through sympathy or empathy is going to find this a difficult and even at times tear jerking journey.

Instrumental forces are approached in a new way, and the bass has an amazingly ominous character about it. The violin seems joined at the hip to the brass instruments. This combined voice yearns over the walking bass and is a wonderous texture.

The melodic idiosyncrasies are still Toby Driver's unique colour. As lush, if not more so, than some classics such as Immortelle and Paper Caravelle.

The biggest change is the rhythm. Constant and pounding. Not unpredictable. It makes a support for the tension and increases the sensation of an actual journey rather than a series of experiences outside of a conventional time frame.

There's not much for Kayo Dot critics to hold onto here. It's an album of both amazing and original music."