Cradle of Filth - Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder

Oblivious Maximus

I am the worm
Nov 5, 2003
Serving time in the middle of nowhere
I know Cradle gets a ton of shit but is there anyone looking forward to this? The new song "Tragic Kingdom" is decent, but I can't judge from just one song. All reports say the records in the Dusk/Midian vein. Thornography for the most part was a big what the fuck, musically and vocally. Yeah not a lot of people dig Dani's voice but it was really bad on that album. Thoughts?

I'm a huge Cradle of Filth fan and so naturally, I've heard the new track and it's a definite improvement from the awful material on their last release. However, style-wise it still sounds a bit like Thornography. I've read the opinions of others who draw comparisons to Midian album but I'm not hearing any of that. I'm not particularly fond of Dani's vocal style that he's used 2006-onward (he sounds like a child yelping sometimes).

By no means is it a great song or anything, but it's not bad and the album might actually be decent. I'm not expecting much, I'm just hoping it's at least as 'good' as Nymphetamine (which really, is my 8th favourite CoF album) if that sounds pessimistic enough.

The album artwork is atrocious!

Do you mean V Empire? I believe their first three, even four releases are on par with each other. How can you enjoy one of those, but not the others? A lot of the stuff on V Empire was written for Dusk, but the band released the EP to fulfill their contract with Cacophonous records who were basically trying to screw the band over.

I think their four releases are brilliant. Midian, and Damnation are also really good...Succubi and Nymphetamine are alright. Thornography is terrible.

The riff sounds similar to Malice Through the Looking Glass. I always preferred Cruelty and the Beast out of all of them.

I am looking forward to the new album, artwork is rather gayish. I thought the song was decent, I hated Thornography, the only worthwhile songs imo were Under Huntress Moon and Temptation. I love the guitar riffs in Under Huntress Moon. But yea, hope the album turns out to be awesome, not holding my breath though.

I am looking forward to the new album, artwork is rather gayish. I thought the song was decent, I hated Thornography, the only worthwhile songs imo were Under Huntress Moon and Temptation. I love the guitar riffs in Under Huntress Moon. But yea, hope the album turns out to be awesome, not holding my breath though.
I'm probably going to get Thornography sometime in the near future, Libertina Grim and I Am The Thorn are good songs.

Didn't think too much of the song, but I'll still get the album. I thought Nymphetamine was great and Thornography had its moments. As long as it's not as bad as Damnation and a Day it'll be alright.

I like Cradle. Not a bad band. I like their older V Empire/Dusk/Creulty era, but Nymphetamine is also pretty good. I sure as fuck am not "anticipating" their next album though. I'm way over my Cradle phase. I might listen to them once every 5-6 months now.

I like Cradle. Not a bad band. I like their older V Empire/Dusk/Creulty era, but Nymphetamine is also pretty good. I sure as fuck am not "anticipating" their next album though. I'm way over my Cradle phase. I might listen to them once every 5-6 months now.
I hadn't listened to them for the longest time until I read about the new album/heard the new song. I listened to Thornography to see if it was as bad as I remembered it to be. Eh, I'd give it a 6/10. The stripped down sound does not work for them.

Never liked CoF's flat out cheesy keyboards, even on their earlier albums. As for this song, it would have been great had it not been for Dani's vocals.

I'll check the album out and give it a spin, I hear some improvements but im not sure indeed. The haunting choirs at the end of the song are cool though, and Paul has a cool guitar solo going on.