Cradle of Filth - Godspeed On The Devil's Thunder

this song sound a bit uninspired... why cof can't make great songs like they used to? to me queen of winter throned is still their best song ever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Its quite obvious why Cradle have changed so much. They have gone through numerous lineup changes, as well as making some record label mistakes. I thought the Cruelty and Dusk albums were the darkest and most clever compared to their recent half assed records. They supposedly have a new drummer who is supposed to be very good, I still think Nick Barker made them awesome with his drumming style. Also Dani Filth seems to have lost the fire, I mean come on he is a married rich family man now. Hopefully the new one can prove us wrong that Cradle can maybe still make a beast of an album. Its already sounding better than Dimmoo Borgear last one.

Its quite obvious why Cradle have changed so much. They have gone through numerous lineup changes, as well as making some record label mistakes. I thought the Cruelty and Dusk albums were the darkest and most clever compared to their recent half assed records. They supposedly have a new drummer who is supposed to be very good, I still think Nick Barker made them awesome with his drumming style. Also Dani Filth seems to have lost the fire, I mean come on he is a married rich family man now. Hopefully the new one can prove us wrong that Cradle can maybe still make a beast of an album. Its already sounding better than Dimmoo Borgear last one.

I'm sure line-up changes have played their part, but not to a large extent. Paul is basically one doing the majority of the song writing these days...he was with the band at the start, and wrote his share of material on V Empire and Dusk, since he was still in the band during the writing process for those two. The only stuff written that didn't involve Paul at all were Cruelty, and the From the Cradle to Enslave EP. I do prefer Nick's drumming, but I don't think the drums play a significant part in Cradle of Filth's sound.

But I agree that Dani's "lost the fire" and I think the band is just at the stage of their career where they're lacking the ambition, and creative drive they used to have (like most bands after a few albums).

Lyrically, because it's a concept album, I'm hoping the writing will be a step-up from their last couple albums. The lyrics seem relatively simplistic to how they used to be, but even Damnation had great lyrics, and that album's lyrics are no where near as decorated and complex as Dani's older stuff.

I'm sure line-up changes have played their part, but not to a large extent. Paul is basically one doing the majority of the song writing these days...he was with the band at the start, and wrote his share of material on V Empire and Dusk, since he was still in the band during the writing process for those two. The only stuff written that didn't involve Paul at all were Cruelty, and the From the Cradle to Enslave EP. I do prefer Nick's drumming, but I don't think the drums play a significant part in Cradle of Filth's sound.

But I agree that Dani's "lost the fire" and I think the band is just at the stage of their career where they're lacking the ambition, and creative drive they used to have (like most bands after a few albums).

Lyrically, because it's a concept album, I'm hoping the writing will be a step-up from their last couple albums. The lyrics seem relatively simplistic to how they used to be, but even Damnation had great lyrics, and that album's lyrics are no where near as decorated and complex as Dani's older stuff.

I think they've done the concept album bit to death! I mean first they did one on Bathory, then Satan now Giles De Rais. Well at least De Rais is an interesting and shocking enough figure... Satan has been so overdone in metal that that entire album was pointless.

"Damnation and a Day" was a great album. Very epic musically, and lyrically as well. I think it's really underrated, and maybe not as enjoyed by fans because it's quite a departure from their traditonal sound, and without any gothic element. But plenty of memorable moments...

^I think it's a very good album, if it's not Gothic what kind of metal is Damnation and a Day? It has some of CoF's best like Babalon AD, Thank God For The Suffering, Doberman Pharoah, and Mannequin.

Im not sure what happened to CoF. I was never one to leave bands because they became popular or "sold out" but with Midian things started to get, well, boring. The new song was no exception. To me it lacks the atmosphere and the interest that their early stuff had. And I miss Barker as their drummer. He was ideal for CoF I think.

^I think it's a very good album, if it's not Gothic what kind of metal is Damnation and a Day? It has some of CoF's best like Babalon AD, Thank God For The Suffering, Doberman Pharoah, and Mannequin.

"Damnation and a Day" is a hard album to classify without saying simply that it's a symphonic album. It’s essentially the metal equivalent to a score or soundtrack of an epic film or story, obviously with all biblical things considered. It’s still very much a Cradle of Filth album, but it’s set apart from the rest.

Style-wise their earlier stuff had with it a black metal influence that progressively lessened over the years, a strong influence from 80's metal most notably Iron Maiden, as well as gothic influences though not necessarily relating to traditional gothic music. However, the theme, vibe, mood etc is presented in a very gothic fashion. "Damnation and a Day" is like an outsider to the Cradle of Filth catalogue because it doesn’t make substantial usage of any of the elements typically associated with the majority of other Cradle of Filth releases.

I don't have any particular favourite tracks, I think they are roughly all on par with each other. I definitely have favourite moments though, especially regarding the lyrics.

I used to love Damnation and a Day, but after not listening to it for about two years, I put it on a few weeks ago and I couldn't really get into it. The songs just seemed to drift by, with barely anything interesting going on. Things picked up near the end with 'Bablon A.D.', 'Mannequin' and 'The Smoke of Her Burning', but three tracks out of 12 (excluding instrumentals/interludes here) wasn't really good enough for me.