Crappy attempt to interept CRS lyrics...

Wanderingblade

Just Hangin' Around
Jan 5, 2002
Leeds/London, UK
Visit site
Cathode Ray: “a stream of electrons...” a stream of negativity?
Sunshine: Sunshine is bright. And hot.

So, is this song about the negativity burning us, destroying us, or brightening and illuminating us? Or both? Or am I missing the point entirely?

“Carry our streams
- We carry negativity with us and in us
Lift up our less than elated lives
- What it says really. The question is how it ties in.
Transmit our selves
- We pass on our bad bits to others.
We breathe out
Where no one whispers”
- Tricky. I think he’s saying that we only show our true selves where no one can see

All in all, I guess this verse is saying that we all have bad bits in us, which we use to lift ourselves and inflict on others, only acting like us properly when not around others.

“Take in the dark light
turn the nighttime into day”

This one is more simple. We take in the negativity, which causes a change - in this case (i’m guessing) is a lifting one, forcing us to be better. It depends on whether he is using day as positive and night as negative, or vice versa.

“Cathode Ray Sunshine
speak out and we receive
Show me and let us in”
The Cathode Ray Sunshine (I THINK) is the negativity from others that forces us to rise/burns us. People are negative, so other people become negative as they receive. Not so sure of the last line there. It could possibly refer to the true self, and how if shown its letting people properly into your life. What is more likely I think is that its a variation on line before - show us negativity, and we become like it.

“Alienate
Block out all
- It splits us away from others, and makes us less communicative with others (which is negative.)
Amid the breaking of the light
- Things get worse. I think this line could be used to support Light being positive throughout.
See it again and again
- Obvious. It happens so many times.
Single sight”

The single sight bit is that we only see the surface of it, and might be a bit of a reference to materialism. It also I think means we are obsessive, and see only the good or the bad. This verse seems to be about how amid growing negativity we grow away from each other, and how the author sees it often.

“Sensory perception
Turn the nighttime into day”

This ties in with Single Sight - if we look at things properly, perceive them properly (i.e. with all our sense), it raises us and make things better.

“To our great distrust
Escapism a means of
getting through alive
- We ignore it, pretend its otherwise, and as such survive, but don’t trust it. We pretend things are better, yet don’t always believe it.
Take it in and spit it out
- We take in negativity, and give it out.
That measly filth”
- Mikael’s contempt for it :)

We lift ourselves above this by Escapism, and as such survive being burnt. But at the same time, we are still perpetuating this filth by being negative in turn. So while we are lifted, and become stronger, we are at the same time dragged down to the level...

“Focal degradation
- our sense of what we want is gone. We no longer have focus.
Drag the chaos into light
- The confusion and negativity is shown and illuminated
Cathode Ray Sunshine
Burn”
- Negativity destructs... or maybe this is purifying. But I think not

This closing sequence seems focused on the negative effects and destruction of this.

In total, I think Cathode Ray Sunshine is about negative thinking in our lives, and how it either forces us higher or destructs us.
Any thoughts?

Sometimes I feel like, yeah sure your analysis is pretty, pretty deep, well writen and intelligent... but I don't think that it was meant to be.

Dark Tranquillity's lyrics are sure tricky, and full of hidden meanings, but also a bit absrud. Each song got his own very meaning, but each sentence sometimes is not very meaningfull... I think that a bunch of 'em are throwed in because they look cool are match with the rest. No offence here, it is normal, we're not doin' heavy litterature but lyrics for a song. Sometimes, we are trying to interprete those lyrics bits which are not supposed to mean anything, and we interprete them in a really, really intricate manner. We find deep and sensefull things about them. But sometimes we are just searching too far, defining something that should not.

Do you understand what I mean? Huk I think i was not very clear...

Anyway i am tired. Over.

Samarkol

imho it is all about people that will soon live under Cathode Ray Sunshine instead of real sunlight, we overcomplicate everything, dying from artificial things which will never replace the real ones.

Samarkol: Yes, I know what you mean. Nothing quite as funny as seeing stuff that the author never did...

I dunno, I guess its kinda a case of how it appears to us. DM's intereptation is a good one too, I reckon quite possibly closer...

Yes, I think that the idea about the replacement of the real sun by a cathode ray (reprensenting cpu, tv, etc...) could be good. It's the main ideo, there many thing related to that in the song.

Sam

Yeah... I was actually being semi-serious with that joke, and I do believe it has something to do with the digitalization of our society and how every needs to be 'wired'... I can't really speak against that, seeing as how long I spend in front of a comp, but at least mine isn't evil :)

~Kovenant (are LCD's evil too? :p)

Originally posted by phyre
I'm with Kovenant here. I think it's a total "the Internet, television and computers are evil" song. Maybe I'll elaborate more on that later if noone does it first.

AND SINCE WHEN DID A CPU HAVE CATHODE RAYS? If I had the "PC's for Dummies" image I would post it here, but as I don't you'll just have to imagine it being here.

Thanks for sharing your infinite wisdom about computer. I know that these is not cathode rays in computers, I probably know a lot more about them than you. If you take the time (once again...) to read my post, you will see that I used the term "representing". I don't see where you can read "computers got cathode rays", but if it amuses you to... it's up to you.

Worship me instead of trying to shit on me.

Samarkol

My original "intuitional explanation" of the lyrics was closer to that of Deviant Mind - the exchange of human emotions with artificial ones makes us less human in the long run. We hunger for feelings on the screen that were long ago lost from us.

Yet, I find Wanderingblade's first interpretation very interesting. I think I need to re-read these lyrics once again.

-Villain