Crashy, open hi-hats in SD2.0?

digitaldeath

Dec 7, 2008
Waterford, Ireland
Hey guys, I gotta work on some rock stuff later in the week and I won't get much time to play around with SD2.0 before then, but how do I get a nice open, crash sound from the hats?
What I mean is that when using real hats, the drummer might space them quite far apart (the top and bottom hats) before tightening the clutch, so that when the hats are open and you hit em, they ring quite a bit and don't die off right away. My memory tells me that SD's hats die off pretty quickly and are just barely open...
Any suggestions?

You have to click the high hats in the plugin gui and select the open position and choose a key for it. There are about 5 or 6 "open" hat positions and the default position is on 2 out of 6 with 1 being the least open. Choose a different one and it will ring out for quite a while.

You have to click the high hats in the plugin gui and select the open position and choose a key for it. There are about 5 or 6 "open" hat positions and the default position is on 2 out of 6 with 1 being the least open. Choose a different one and it will ring out for quite a while.

This is just for the "preview". Of course when you place the actual midi notes, the open notes will be used (if you select them). But they still don't ring out as long and as aggressively as I'd want them.

+ lots of OH and room mics

The Barresi samples are my favorite, period, even if the cymbal slots are limited and the rides aren't always the best.

Yeah, Evil Drums is pretty awesome alright.
Had a quick look at SD2.0 lastnight, the open6 articulation still didn't give me what I was looking for, I didn't get a chance to try but I'm not sure if The Metal Foundry or Evil Drums will give me the hi-hat sound I'm after either...must reinstall them and see, but I somehow doubt it.
When they're sampling these kits, do they adjust the distance between the top and bottom hats much? I must take a photo of my acoustic kit and show what I mean. It's not a sound I'm always looking for, but certain songs certainly call for it!

When we sample the kits we have the drum tech and the drummer - in this case Mike Fassano and Bobby Jarzombek - set up the kit as they would for a tracking date. The Hat is sampled from fully closed to fully open with tip and shank.

F87C5658b.jpg

Cheers,

Rail

Hey Rail, yeah looking at your pic I'd like hi-hat samples with the hats opened up a lot more than that. I'd set my hats up like that if I were doing a typical metal gig...but if I were playing something like a hi energy rock gig, in which I wouldn't be so worried about double-kicks and blistering speed, I'd have the hats opened more and rock those muthafucka like there's no tomorrow! :)
I'll take a pic describing what I mean on the weekend once I get to my rehearsal space.