Crazy Train with Hyde on Vox

LOL dude, just heard your version of crazy train and it rocks! Man, I thought I'd try to record some vox for this one (didn't know you had recorded them!) , but now I'm not sure I dare ;) Like the other guys have said here, you have great timing and pitch and everything! GG!

Cheers!

EC I'm not real familiar with Styx's music. I like a kinds of stuff though. Who did Blue Collar Man was that Styx?

Range wise Ozzy is usually ok for me but like everyone noticed I sound nothing like him!! LOL.

Yea, Blue Collar Man is Styx. They have lots of songs you'd probably recognize, but maybe didn't realise was them. They're a great band, and I just thought that your voice would fit thier stuff, but of course there's lots of other stuff I think you'd fit well with too. :)

As for sounding like Ozzy, if that was easy, Ozzy would be a janitor by now! :lol: As instument players, we all sometimes forget just how hard it is for vocalists. For me on the bass, I can change styles, play with a pick, slap, hammer-on, etc, etc, to make myself sound like other players, but for singers, they only have one voice, and there's only so much they can do to sound like other people. Really, I think it's better to do what you did, and what oooaaar did with THe Tower, and just adapt the song to your own style, even if it changes the song's flavor a bit. There's nothing wrong with doing that, after all it's the musical diversity that makes it all interesting. We here at the IMG usually have strived to sound "just like the recording", but really that's just step one in this process, I think. Now that we have grown pretty good at making our recordings sound just like the original, it's probably a logical next step to stretch these songs, and make them our own, in our own ways. Otherwise, why not just listen to the original recordings? I think it's good for all of us to go ahead and feel free to inject our own personal styles and ideas into the songs we do, even if they are cover songs. That's what musicianship is all about, right? It's the freedom of expression that makes it fulfilling. :headbang:

So anyway, don't worry about whether or not you sound just like Ozzy... you're not Ozzy, you're Mr Hyde, so go ahead and sound like Mr Hyde! :headbang:

Originally posted by Eddies cellmate
Yea, Blue Collar Man is Styx. They have lots of songs you'd probably recognize, but maybe didn't realise was them. They're a great band, and I just thought that your voice would fit thier stuff, but of course there's lots of other stuff I think you'd fit well with too. :)

As for sounding like Ozzy, if that was easy, Ozzy would be a janitor by now! :lol: As instument players, we all sometimes forget just how hard it is for vocalists. For me on the bass, I can change styles, play with a pick, slap, hammer-on, etc, etc, to make myself sound like other players, but for singers, they only have one voice, and there's only so much they can do to sound like other people. Really, I think it's better to do what you did, and what oooaaar did with THe Tower, and just adapt the song to your own style, even if it changes the song's flavor a bit. There's nothing wrong with doing that, after all it's the musical diversity that makes it all interesting. We here at the IMG usually have strived to sound "just like the recording", but really that's just step one in this process, I think. Now that we have grown pretty good at making our recordings sound just like the original, it's probably a logical next step to stretch these songs, and make them our own, in our own ways. Otherwise, why not just listen to the original recordings? I think it's good for all of us to go ahead and feel free to inject our own personal styles and ideas into the songs we do, even if they are cover songs. That's what musicianship is all about, right? It's the freedom of expression that makes it fulfilling. :headbang:

So anyway, don't worry about whether or not you sound just like Ozzy... you're not Ozzy, you're Mr Hyde, so go ahead and sound like Mr Hyde! :headbang:

I used to run sound for a cover band and they beat Blue Collar Man to death!! The singer in that band had one of the strongest voices of anyone I've ever heard. He sang in a really pure voice and even when he tried to sound like James on Enter Sandman he coudn't get his voice to growl like that.
Crazy train is the first time I've had the courage to sing lead vox on anything and let anyone actually hear it! One thing I learned is that singing louder and harder didn't equal a more powerful sound. In other words, even though I thought I would sound more powerful by singing slightly louder, I actually sounded the same as I always do!
:lol:

I'm not good at altering my voice to sound like other people at all.
I know another singer, actually the one who sang on It's a long way to the top, he's pretty good at altering his voice to at least immitate other singers. One thing he has that I don't is an incredible range. With a guitar tuned to standard pitch he can sing down to the F# on the low E and on a good day can bend the high E string 22 second fret up a whole step and sing that note in a falsetto!
I've tried to get him to join us too but he readily admitts to struggling with Bruce and more operatic style vox.
...Oops...I kinda went off an tangent there...Hee Hee.:lol:

I've never heard Dream Theater. I see their name mentioned a lot when talking about Queensryche and Maiden. What do they sound like?

Dude! They sound great!

I'll copy up a few tracks on a locker someplace so you can check them out. Definately worth your time to listen to. The guitar player is phenominal...actually..they are all strong musicians.