Creating Impulses

guitarguru777

Nov 13, 2003
Las Vegas
www.jasonconstantine.com
Anyone have any info on how to make Impulses?

I was looking up some info online and it looks like I need a sine wave generator to run into the return of the amp then record that signal through the cab I want to use with the mic I want.

Is that really all there is to it?

I am asking cause I have access to slew of gear at the moment. My bass player in my band works for a back line company and has a shit ton of cabs in house with various speaker and cab configurations.

Thanks .... So my project for the weekend will be ....

67 Marshall - Birch Cab w/ V30s and GT65's
Mesa Oversize w/ v30's
Marshall 800 w/ 75's
Peavey 5150 bottom w stock speakers

Ill do each cab with:
Peavey 5150
Peavey Valve King
Marshall JCM800
Marshall JCM900
Marshall DLS 2000
Marshall TSL 2000
Marshall JMP from 1980
Mesa Dual Recto
Mesa Triple Recto
Mesa Mk2 C+
Mesa Mk4
Mesa Roadking
Mesa Stiletto Trident
Mesa Lonestar

Wish I had some extra tubes to load up in the power sections, but I don't so whatever the stocks tubes on these heads are this is what I will have to use.

Mic's will be a 57 and an i5 mic'd in various places. I am even going to test the Fredman technique and see how that sounds as an impluse.

Thanks!

Wow, that's a couple of amps you'll be doing! Post clips when you are done, would be interesting to hear some new impulses.

By the way, I'm not really sure about this though but, when I did some impulses, one of the files had to be a little longer than the other one, I think. (The normal sinesweep or the sinesweep through the cab, can't remember which. But I guess you'll find out or you have it already figured out.)

Good luck!

Ya i am sure i will figure it out. Its just going to take time. i obviously cant load ll of that into my car at the same time. So it will take a few weeks / months to get it all going. But def this weekend I should at least have the Vintage Marshall cab with the Valve King and JMP as I own all of that ...lol

I look forward to hearing that :D
anyways i read that guide and he seemed to be talking about cabs and heads not combo amps :S
but I want to do an impulse of my vox AC4 and also my laney lv300 tube amp
it basically has just the input for the guitar and then an external loudspeaker output on the back, how would I go about doing this?

as long as the Amp (combo or head) has an FX return I should be able to make an Impulse of the power section and speaker.

Preamp section I believe would be totally different as you really cant take the preamp section of your amp and run it into a deconvolution. The EQ and everything would affect the signal. that would be my guess anyway.

YA this one does :) Its a modded JMP, actually its just like the one Slash played on AFD :) Same head with the same mod :)

Its got an extra gain stage up front and an FX loop on it. I use it for a SHIT TON of stuff. It's just for this killer growl! I put a TS upfront to drive it a bit and it just opens up like a rabit pitbull!

And contrary to what Slash and Marshall are saying right now the AFD100 is not going to sound anything like the amp he played on AFD cause after doing some reading they are modeling it on an 800 chassis not the old JMP chassis like the amp he recorded with had. The preamp stage is different between the JMP and the 800 which give the JMP less headroom then an 800 therefore breaking up earlier.

But anyway I digress ....lol

Sometimes I hate being a tone snob :p