CREATIVE PROMOTION

Light

Up The World
Nov 24, 2001
Since I've seen the new Marillion album get a few mentions on here by now, some of you may already be aware of the contest they're running to create a video for their track, "Whatever Is Wrong With You". Basically there's ten grand up for grabs, split between the qualifying clip that has the highest number of views on YouTube as at 1st December, and the band's own personal favourite - if the two aren't one and the same.

Marillion have become quite well known for their novel methods of generating publicity and funding in recent years - special editions of the albums with YOUR name in the credits (along with several thousand others), remix contests, fan events, deluxe inflatable Steve Hogarth dolls... but I find this particular concept to be simply outstanding, and think it would be absolutely fantastic if Threshold were to do something along similar lines.

It's the sort of exposure that money just can't buy - or at least certainly not a "mere" ten grand, which is peanuts in the world of advertising. Assuming that they actually use the winning video(s) for (LOL) MTV and stuff, that's also incredibly cheap compared to what a standard clip can easily rack up in production costs.

And of course, it gets people very actively trying to spread the word - showing their movie to their friends, family, pets, colleagues, hairy men on scary internet forums and complete strangers in the street, all to try and get more hits in the hope of winning a "fortune". Most importantly, though, it gets people to be creative. That's a precious gift in itself!

Personally I'd be happy enough if Threshold did a remix contest - I've been pestering the guys for their source tapes to no avail for years now ;) - but creating a video is something open to far more people than the making of a musical masterpiece - most of us have at least some form of video camera by now, and there's various flavours of editing software all over the shop these days.

So what do people think? I would guess that (sadly) Threshold have a bit of a smaller fan-base than Marillion, but that's beside the point for something like this - you can bet that half the people entering the current competition had never heard of the band until news of the contest winged their way. I also recognise that it might be seen to be "copying Marillion" - but so what? If everyone limited themselves to ideas that had never been done before, we'd do.... practically nothing....

Would you be interested in making a Threshold video?

I know at least one of you would ;) Here's her entry to the Marillion contest - posted with her permission, because she's too damn shy to show it off herself :oops: No need to be though, I think it's really rather bloody good, especially as a first ever attempt at video editing, and with only a crappy laptop webcam to film with. Go on, give her a few more views - only another.....110,000 to go..... ! :err:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oWQheBMOvtc

:kickass:

Great video. I think she would be a strong contender here on that showing!!!

A Threshold version of this would be great but I'm not sure I'd have the technical skills needed to put something together. A lot of people liked the Mac video for Hollow so I guess new video versions would get well viewed

The 10k prize should generate some interest and it must make it worth non Marillion fans getting involved, as opposed to a unique band related item

I guess it would come down to finding that balance between prize vs interest. I think it's a great idea but Im not convinced that it will gain Marillion tonnes of longer term fans.

And yes, many of the best ideas are nicked and tweaked a bit

Has no-one else had a look at this? Any views anyone?

Nope, people here unfortunately don't seem to have many views, but rather just lurk, which is exactly why I didn't want to bother posting it myself...! :lol:

But thanks for your nice comment, BDTM. I can assure you though that I don't have the slightest technical skills either, it's the software that does it all nowadays. And the FUN and passion of doing it, of course.

HEY LURKERS, it's worth watching you know - she even gives a brief flash of flesh ;)

But never mind knockers now, I'm more interested in knowing what other people think of the video contest concept in general - especially for Threshold. If you think it's a shit idea, still say so!

I have been thinking about it since you posted - something similar but not the same would probably be better, working out what that would be is the tricky part.

But as I said before does this sort of thing really attract new fans - big prizes will attract the pros who aren't interested in the band. Unique band related prizes will see a flurry of activity from the die hards but may not attract new fans either.

Perhaps the reall success of this sort of thing is not the thing itself but rather using it as a launch pad for all sorts of other stuff, getting the event/competiton, and therefore the band, discussed on forums and maybe even the more mainstream media.

There'd be lots of ways to make it "the same but a little bit different".

The Marillion contest was entirely open-ended - I'm not saying a potential Threshold one shouldn't be, but the band could (for example) make available and give people permission to include certain clips of professionally shot live footage into their video if they wish to, and in any way they wish - the weirder the better ;) That gets people not just listening to the band while they work, but watching them too... and would also act as a bit of a kick-start to those who can't think where or how to begin.

The reward could be different too. A cash prize will always go down well (and five grand is CHEAP for a music video), but if the winner - chosen by the band - were also to have their movie become the "official" video for that song, included as a bonus on a live DVD too, then that would surely up the stakes a bit... and if (say) nine runners up were included in the "extras" section as well, then everyone's a winner, baby.

Well, not everyone... I certainly hope more than ten people would enter! Although judging by the lack of replies to this thread.... :guh:

In any case, all exposure is good exposure; these people would be proud as f*ck of their creations and would then - naturally - buy copies of the DVD for all their friends and extended family :D Getting something into the public consciousness by any means always tends to pay off positively somehow in the end!

:Smokedev:

Another example of this sort of thing (although it is a little cheesy) is the Feeder video made up of clips of fans air guitaring etc.

The include on a dvd idea is neat - it is obviously attractive for fanatics but is also good for pros that are gate crashing

One piece of creative promotion I'd suggest would be for anyone with an iTunes account to leave some reviews, comments or ratings of Threshold's albums there.

I hate Itunes (and used it only to download the Pressure single) but I'd gladly do it on play.com, my favourite online shop.

Note to all: it would be wise to avoid hyper-enthusiastic reviews, otherwise it wouldn't be much helpful! ;)

Also, it would be good if any of us could have a look at the "local" Threshold pages on wikipedia, and eventually correct errors and so. The italian is fine, by the way. ;)

(in the meantime, I already wrote a couple of reviews on play.com)