Crimson II is No Crimson

By Fear I Fall

New Metal Member
Nov 16, 2001
NYC, DC
www.byfearifall.com
Sorry I'm being lazy and not looking back that far for other threads about this topic. I have read a lot of reviews that say Crimson II is excellent and I wanted to know if anyone disagrees. I think it's a good cd but not the same quality that Crimson was. Dan Swano is a genius, but Edge of Sanity as a whole is a great band with a genius in its ranks.

By Fear I Fall said:
Sorry I'm being lazy and not looking back that far for other threads about this topic. I have read a lot of reviews that say Crimson II is excellent and I wanted to know if anyone disagrees. I think it's a good cd but not the same quality that Crimson was. Dan Swano is a genius, but Edge of Sanity as a whole is a great band with a genius in its ranks.
Yes, there are quite some people who disagree. Just look at the poll...Crimson I has got 1 more vote than Crimson II. (at the moment I wrote this)

I belong to those who think of Crimson II as a superior album. Crimson I is one of my all-time faves, but Crimson II beat it IMO. "C-1" is easier to get into, because it isn't as complex as the first part, but when I fully got to know "C-2", I prefered it to C-1. If Crimson 2 would've had more than 1 blastbeat passage, I would like it even better ;)

I had all my issues with Crimson II typed out but then realized people probably don't want to read all my personal problems with the cd. I'll just say one for now, though. The vocals have been processed too much and I don't think they sound like Dan.

I guess the main reason i don't like C2 as much as C1 is because C2 has too much recycled material and it does not play as one song. I also find the length of C2 to be dragged to the 43 min mark.

By Fear I Fall said:
The vocals he actually does sound different than his growls on every other EoS album.

He hadn't growled in quite a while since the last work he did for EoS/Moontower... he said he had completely lost his technique. It's quite possible that when he rediscovered it, the way he did it was slightly different, or he has just changed a bit. Mikael from Opeth doesn't sound exactly the same on MAYH as he does on BWP or Deliverance, but it's still great :) Just as I love Dan's vocals on CI, CII, Moontower and all the other EoS albums... not to mention other growling he may have done...

I'm 'listening'. I think 'Crimson II' is more related to 'Death's Design' construction-wise. Indeed it is a bit more patchy than the first 'Crimson' but again my intention was never to top the original, just to make the album I felt like listening to myself...it's a bonus if you like it too

I love the production on Crimson II. It's very easy to get into too. Everyone who gets into my truck comments on the sound right away. Even the non metal listeners.

It has a groove, (if I can use the term) that makes you bob your head without realizing it.

To compare is irrelevant really.

I too prefer the original Crimson actually, much because it flows better than C2. But still C2 is one hell of an album, one of the best when looking back at 2003.

You know what ... i use to think the keyboard was to much too. I even opened a thread on it a few months back. However Dan does a lot with the keyboard in c2. It is not just background noise it also sets an interesting mood much different from the first crimson. Just Lykorian it will start to grow on you.

i do agree with the production tho....mainly the death vocals are washed out