Criticism on my production for my thrash metal song.

Dyvan13

New Metal Member
May 28, 2012
So, I've created the first song to my thrash metal solo project using apple's garageband. I have NO prior mixing knowledge except for what articles I found on the internet.

To record, I used the line output on my line 6 spider 30w combo and plugged it straight into the line in on my Mac for both bass and guitar. I used the in-built drum machine it has, each head on a separate track :/. It sounds VERY ametuerish. Please, rip me a new asshole. I spent FOREVER eq'ing/reverbing and experimenting to get what I have now, but it is meh.... Yeah, I want to get somemore external hardware like an audio interface but all my money is going toward college next semester :/

Last edited by a moderator:
It sounds bloated and unclear. I think it has to do with the lower region, some clearing up of the lower-mids and some high passing would help greatly. Also, the levels are messed up. The drums are buried somewhere in there, and they need to be brought up. Drums are what causes the headbanging.

why are you using the worst shit? ditch the line 6 combo amp and get one of the free amp sims floating around. download some of the one million free drum samples floating around this forum.