Critique: Agressive Metal

HostileEx

Jun 24, 2011
Missouri, MO
Please check out what I have. If you have any advice at all, I'd love to hear it. Have been working on this for a while. The compostion is not complete.

Things bothering me:
Snare
Bass Crunch
:bah:

Last edited by a moderator:
Before fixing anything else, you might want to tune that bass properly. ~50s in is painful...

I would bring the guitars a teeny bit more central - not have them hard panned, but +- 80 perhaps. When you have the discordant notes at the start just in the left speaker it's a bit irritating just in the one ear on headphones. They're also a bit fizzy sounding.

I think the toms sound worse than the snare - quite artificial. I don't think the snare is too bad, though it's definitely not very punchy after that inverse reverb thing. I think more reverb on the snare would help, maybe some compression with a relatively slow attack. You may want to humanise the drums a bit with some volume variation, that's adding to the artificial sound.

Hope I don't sound too critical, just things that stood out on a quick listen through :)

Oh yes. I want you to be as criticle as possible. When I hit this mix again I will take all of this intro consideration. If you have any more input at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

The bass is programmed. The only real instrument is the guitars. I'm playing each note an octave down. So in CGCF tuning on a bass. Is this incorrect?

I'm not very knowledgeable about bass, but I thought that's what the bass tuning was for Drop C guitar?

Hmmm... I tuned the Guitars before each different part. I played each section multiple times. Maybe in my post processing I managed to pitch shift something, but the tuning sounds fine to me.