Looking for some useful critique (PremierePro's trax)...

oroinvictus

dangert billy
Apr 15, 2010
eugene, oregon
www.facebook.com
I've posted this in a new thread since I didn't want to bog the other bloated one with more messages. I'd really like to get some critique on my mix, I feel like I got a passable sound for the hugely minimal equipment I used, but it could still be better.

http://bit.ly/yP2Ky4

Things I like: individual tones, levels
Things I don't like: buried snare, cloudiness, lack of volume/professional glue

The track was recorded by Premier Productions, you can find the raw files for mixing in their thread. I'm open to anything, critique, questions, comments, lambasting, what have you. It all helps. Thank you for your time, and thanks to PremierPro for uploading a sweet track.

try getting a little more crack in that snare tone and it will start cutting a little better. i also feel like its lacking some mids overall. what does your master look like on it? not too bad though!

I was thinking some crack oughta do it, I need to experiment with some more sounds... my master doesn't look like anything, I'm not entirely sure what to run to glue everything together. It tends to clip and smash when I throw on light comping/limiting, maybe turning everything down could help with that. I'm thinking my master should go something like EQ-comp-clipper, maybe... thanks for your input.

Try putting SSL Comp on your master first in the chain, if you have it. IMO it's always best to run your compressor before EQ. I have the threshold at -4 and the release at 2..attack is at 30 and i cant remember what i had the release at haha. but that will glue things together really nicely..if you mix is clipping afterwards, i would turn everything down a good bit. Recently i have been making sure my mixes peak at -6 or -5 before applying my master to it (which is super quiet) that way all of my volume is coming out of my master. you can get a mix much louder that way without all of the clipping. my chain is SSL Comp>Waves C4 (controlling low end only)>Izotope for limiter and EQ and thats about it. sometimes i will add more in there but but not very often

I will, I'm bouncing out some samples right now. By the way, do you mind shedding a little light on your vocal processing in your mix? I really want to throw the vox in there but I just can't seem to get them to sit right.

Definitely sounds more glued together and cleaner! As far as vocal processing goes my chain is waves C1 compressor..threshold around -35 with a makeup of 30. attack .01 and release 30..ratio 20:28:1. next is EQ (really only a highpass at around 120-150ish) then waves desser. every track is sent to a screaming buss with Waves L2 on it limiting everything and after that any kind of effect such as reverb on the buss

The updated version definitely sounds better. I don't really like the sound of kick very much, other than that I like the sound of it.

I'd say try to focus on giving the guitar a bit more depth, it seems a little flat sounding in comparison to the drums which were mechanical (might just be the genre but could use some humanizing and velocity tweaking) but seemed to to have a full sound eq-wise.

I'd say try to focus on giving the guitar a bit more depth, it seems a little flat sounding in comparison to the drums which were mechanical (might just be the genre but could use some humanizing and velocity tweaking) but seemed to to have a full sound eq-wise.

Okay, do you think some surgical EQing or maybe a new cab impulse could change that?