Looking to do some home recordings

Ayeka

Hell Bent For Leather!
Feb 23, 2002
Visit site
Basically, my latest band has so much potential but I'm basically adding it to the list of those that have gone up the shit creek. We've been locked out of the warehouse where we rehearse, which is also where our drummer's kit is stashed. And our guitarist is starting to annoy me. I'm sick to death of being in bands that start off good but go to pot because everyone else is lazy, crap, posing or wouldn't know Metal is they got hit in the face with a crowbar. Bad luck has also played more than its fair share of trouble.

I'm sick of it, so I'm cutting out the human equation and have decided I'm gonna record my backlog of songs MYSELF! Some guy has volunteered to help with a drum machine if needs be, but everything else I will handle myself. So basically, that means some kind of home studio setup.

This is where I'm totally ignorant, is the trouble. I figured I might see if I can get myself a 16-track on the cheap and cheerful...hell, just an 8-track would suffice. I don't know what I should keep my eyes peeled for, what prices I could expect for new or used gear, what odds and sods I might need on top of it, and what problems I might expect to encounter that I should be kinda prepared for. No idea how I'd get the music onto CD, but I figure that's one of those things that should be in an instruction manual, right?

Any help with these things will be much appreciated, along with anything else I should be aware of. I know we had an older thread about this, but these equipment things came up as topic drift and geared towards people who knew what they were talking about (that's how I felt when I read it anyway).

And, just in case you're wondering...don't ask when/if anything that might be recorded might be dished out. I only decided on this plan yesterday!

Cheers

Noone needs multi-track tape recorders anymore. Unless you want the tape sound, tape recorders are obsolete. CD and Minidisc recorders are even more useless. You have a computer; get reasonable software and use it. Ask me for further details later if you're not hell-bent on having an actual dedicated multitracker device.

henrikmain said:
That's the thread I was talking about :oops: like I said, I think I need more of an idiot's guide thing. I'd very much like to try and experiment with what can be on offer before I try and make a dedicated recording.

A 'tape' sound would be interesting...like I say, I'd like to think I could experiment with this, but I'm not dedicated to that alone and if it'll create more trouble thann it's worth I'll skip it if needs be. My own personal computer is a bit dodge - no proper speakers for starters. Our main computer is fucked beyond belief, and too be honest at the end of the day I'd rather have my noise on my own machine. Obviously. Looks like I'll have to do some homework on how I might need to mangle my computer if necessary to make sure this recording stuff runs good.

Erik, is everything you can say about computer recording already in that other thread? If yay I'll give it another jimmy, do some homework and plan my shit out. Any questions, you'll be my first call ;) bwahaha!

Yes, I completely agree with the computer advice. I really believe it to be the best way of recording now adays. Let me show you- my band Wind Through the Trees did THIS SONG
for our demo using the following stuff-

Acid 4.0 (software)
A 15 Watt Crate Amp
A $50 behringer eurorack UB502 mixer
A $40 vocal mic
Fruity Loops (for drum sequencing)

(and of course all of my guitars and my bass)

And hey, with 300ish dollars worth of stuff, it doesnt sound that bad! Check it out.

Hope this helps.

Oh one last thing - for computer recording, definitely check out the Line 6 Pod.

From my past experience with bands, I've got a hunch that Profanity's post will be the most helpful :lol:

But, cheers Marksveld. I'll download the song tomorrow and take notes on the equipment list. If Erik don't say shit I'll take notes on the other thread later.

And from there is the next important point: is it better to record everything while piss drunk, or just the vocals? Cos I can't trust anyone's advice in my state, but I could sure give Reaper by Bathory some beans! :heh:

If you record anything but vocals when you're piss drunk you'll think it's fucking amazing, easily the best music ever created by anyone... Until you sober up.

Marksveld's song certainly has the kind of sound I'd be happy with for my kind of stuff. I don't exactly need anything Martin Birch-style for starting off, but if I manage to hack this kind of thing it would be nice if I could possibly move up to that level. That's an incredibley long way off though, obviously.

So, it seems that the most important thing I need is some recording software, such as the Acid 4.0 Mark cites. What other software do other people use? Can anyone cite the pros and cons of each? And where do I get hold of them? For how much? In the other thread Nate talked about downloading all this stuff for free - brilliant! Where to?!
Apply the same to mixing stuff as well please :oops:

The drums are, like I said, the only thing I can't really handle by myself. Would I be able to record a drum machine straight onto my computer? Or would it be easier to just try and download something like that Fruity Loops thing on the free?

I think I might still have a cheap broken microphone which I could see if it does the job. If it doesn't, is there anything specifically ideal for this kind of thing I should look out for?

Lastly (for now) Nate talked about computer specs that are ideally needed for this kind of thing. Like I said, mine's a bit dodge - a freebie rescued from my dad's work! What kind of specs do you ideally need for running all this? I've got a hunch that the majority of investment might be involved in upgrading my comp if needs be - that's cool, it'll be handy for me.

Sorry if anything's already been covered or should be obvious, but I am still a complete novice to this in every sense of the word. Layman's terms for everything please!

Here's a basic set up. Since you said you have a friend with a drum machine, I will assume you don't need drum software.

1) Your computer. The more powerful the better, but only to save you time and frustration.

2) Good sound card (for more help here, get the soundcard Erik has). You can get by with whatever soundcard you currently have, but once you're ready to really record something you'll need to spend about $150.

3) Acid Pro 4.0 or Cool Edit Pro 2.0 or better. Both these can be purchased for around $150, or you can get it free on DC++ or some other P2P site. Oh . . . Cool Edit Pro now has a new name, but it is widely considered the easiest software for audio recording. Acid Pro is pretty easy too. I also think Sound Forge is very easy to use. Steve Austin of Today is the Day recommended it to me. I've only just begun to mess with it.

You'll be able to record your guitar direct if you have a multi-effects box. If not, just get a Shure SM-57 mike. It will work for guitar, bass, and vocals.

I learned to use the above mentioned software in about 5 minutes without manuals. I also have several other WAY more expensive software audio/midi recorders. But they are more complex, harder to use, and I don't need everything they have anyway.

If you decide to go with a drum machine yourself, go with an Alesis SR-16. It can be found for around $100 or so on EBAY. You can always look into drum sequencers like Fruity Loops (for you computer), but they are a little more tedious to me.

Here is what Mick Kenney of Anaal Nathrakh, Frost, Mistress, etc. uses for his computer based recording (nobody uses tape anymore).

1) Acid Pro 4.0 and Cool Edit Pro for audio recording
2) Alesis SR-16 for drum programming (it's very easy to use)
3) Not sure on the soundcard, but the one Erik has is the one I would get.
4) Various microphones

I don't claim to be an expert on this stuff, but I've been through A LOT of trial and error. Feel free to email me at npearce@ultimatemetal.com with questions. If I could have had somebody help me when I started, it would have saved me a lot of time and frustration. You should also check out www.homerecording.com.

For a very simplified version of what I just said above, follow these instructions.

1) Buy/download audio recording software (Acid Pro, Cool Edit, etc.)
2) Install audio recording software
3) Plug guitar multi effects box into your sound card
4) Adjust sound levels on your sound card
5) Push record button on the audio recording software

There . . . you've just recorded something. It's really very easy. You will be able to record unlimited tracks on a lot of the recording software out there. Once you start messing around with the software, you will easily figure out how to manipulate the sound, apply effects, cut and paste stuff in different sections of the song, etc.