Looking for some recommendations on dark, sombre, emotional music

I thought Materia was absolutely GOD AWFUL! Especially compared to their earlier releases. I mean, some of the tracks could have been taken straight off a pop album! Get "Classica" instead!

Even though you said no female vocals: Skumring - De Glemte Tider (it's very good)

...could you please give some samples...! Thanx

...Music...unless you didn´t wanted to have femal vocals...you have to listen to The 3rd and the mortal ...Tears laid in Earth!...

Erik said:
turn loose the swans is not even in the same fucking LEAGUE as wildhoney

I listened to Wildhoney again -- much better than I remembered. I think I've always had difficulty adjusting to the gruff lead vox...otherwise, yeah, it's pretty great. Reminds me of a rainforest.

addae said:
...Music...unless you didn´t wanted to have femal vocals...you have to listen to The 3rd and the mortal ...Tears laid in Earth!...

Erik said:
the 3rd and the mortal - tears laid in earth

/!\ female vox alert /!\

I have a 3rd and Mortal CD at home. It's been shelved for a couple of years. Maybe it's time to blow the dust off...

Ellestin said:
How about this Yearning song JK? Yearning for your judgement there

Oooh now missus, I like this. Redundant first 50 seconds of silence included. :loco:

Kinda nordic feel to it, even the vocals are slightly simen hestnaes/vintersorg'ish (lower register)....

4:28 -- "angels fall from heaven"... *cue some kinda mandolin?* whatever it is, I like it muchly.

Is this their best song, or are they all good?

JayKeeley said:
Is this their best song, or are they all good?

Look, all Yearning albums work along the lines of a pretty straight paradigm: 50% gorgeous songs - 50% fillers (some really shit fillers alas).

I'd say you try and d/l "With Tragedies Adorned" which is by far the doomiest of the bunch. "Plaintive Scenes" is somewhat more operatic, "Frore Meadow" more into the neo-Katatonish shoegazing stuff.

Ask BWD or possibly Erik J. Grahn for complementary advice.

dill_the_devil said:
I might be able to book a week off work, I know the other half fancies a shopping trip in London, and Russell's already made the mistake of offering me a place to kip and an Asian cinema DVD night if I'm ever in London... :D

Damn right! I've got the entire (three bedroom) house to myself all summer as Anna is in Norway till December, so there's a lot of space ;) Plus with my summer job apparently I should be able to work from home.