I need some Doom recommendations

Godhead59

Dim Sam
Jun 6, 2006
Harlequin Forest
Hello guys...

I've been listening to Candlemass and Draconian recently, and I'm very impressed with what I'm hearing.
I guess I'm starting to get into Doom metal.

So I need some recommendations (more in the way of Draconian, though Candlemass-like bands are also welcome!). I heard My Dying Bride are really good.

Thanks in advance!

As a Draconian fan, definitely check out Swallow the Sun and Saturnus. My Dying Bride is, of course, absolutely mantatory.

Reverend Bizarre
Older Anathema
Older Paradise Lost
Esoteric
Funeral
My Dying Bride is definitely a good choice.

I've never heard Draconian but if you want bands that sound a bit like Candlemass, try Reverend Bizarre. Funeral and Esoteric are funeral doom (although Esoteric is very unique compared to others), and Anathema/Paradise Lost/My Dying Bride were all doom/death in their earlier eras, although MDB kept the style.

These bands don't necessarily sound the same as Draconian.. Or at least what i've heard of them.. But they're differing doom/stoner/sludge/drone bands that i enjoy. I've listened to some doom for a while, but only recently have i really started loving it.

Asunder
Boris
Earth
Esoteric
The Gault
Jesu
Mael Mórdha
Middian
Neurosis - not really doom.. but fuck it.. if you haven't heard them check them out!
Nortt
Om
Reverend Bizarre
Sunn O)))

And whilst i haven't heard them yet, i've heard good things about diSEMBOWELMENT.

EDIT: If you feel like being adventurous

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_doom_metal_bands

Have a goosey gander at that list :p

Skepticism, early Paradise Lost, Esoteric...especially Esoteric, which is some kind of formless psychedelic doom...incredible musicianship with a beautiful ''druggy'', apocalyptic vibe.

Ahaha shhh.. still worth checking out!

Draconian, from what i heard, sounded similar to the sort of My Dying Bride style of Doom. So yes - definitely check them out.. A good starting point being 'The Dreadful Hours'.

What are you guys smooking? Esoteric has nothing to do with either Candlemass or Draconian. :err:

Sure Esoteric's sound isn't similar to Draconian or Candlemass, but it's still very much doom metal and it is a very very very dark, brooding, unique sound that I think anyone should lend an ear to anywho.

Early Katatonia-Dance of December Souls, and my favorite doom/death album of all-time-Brave Murder Day. For traditional, epic doom Trouble's Psalm 9 and The Skull are essential. Mourning Beloveth is an Irish Doom band. For "funeral" doom try Evoken. As far as MDB go, As the Flowers Wither and Turn Loose the Swans are a good starting point. Crown of Sympathy is one of the absolute best doom songs ever from TLTT.

What I love lately:

Pentagram - Day of Reckoning, s/t
Saint Vitus - s/t
Dolorian - When All the Laughter Has Gone, Voidwards
Asunder - Works Will Come Undone