I Need Some Recomendations...

wow, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Borknagar yet, IMO they're the Opeth of Black Metal. Also try Age of Silence and Sculptured, and although they're more avant-garde than prog, Arcturus is good too. Also, Ulver and Solefald are good avant-garde bands.

Like they're going to put every band on there for christ sake. Just read the description, and if you've actually heard Radiohead's music try to apply it.

"Extended techniques: Any of a number of methods of performing on a musical instrument that are unique, innovative, and sometimes regarded as improper."

"In a broader sense, it is also used to mean any music that challenges the commonly accepted notions of what music is."

"Playing with deliberate disregard for the ordinary musical controls (pitch, duration, volume)."

This is Radiohead

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEKlH7Bl47M&feature=related[/ame]

Sorry, but those criteria are too large. I mean, come on, only fucking Iron Maiden wouldn't be experimental, even Judas Priest made an album with orchestration, and aren't a typical instrument of heavy metal. Does this make them experimental? No way in hell. Radiohead are a good band, certainly better then other acts, but give credit where credit is due, and leave them out of the experimental scene.

Orchestration isn't typical with heavy metal? Are you f'in kidding me? Man you have no clue what you're talking about. Besides It's not about just one thing it's about a combination of things, and the namely the implantation. I'm done you can think what you want, but you're way off on a number of things.

How about Arcturus - here is a song from "La Masquerade Infernale"

Devil doll - a piece from Dies Irae, I don't consider it prog but highly recommended:

Ayreon Especially The Human equation:

Enslaved: the new stuff, for example ISA

The another one of my favorite that Isn't prog but more avangarde Elend - Get either The umbersun (just re-issued) or A world in their screams.
A song from The Umbersun:

Hope that you can use some of the above recommendations. I know that some of the music is not considered prog, but what the heck I like them all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've known about Arcturus for a little while now and I've actually been trying to find that album... to little success. They don't have it on iTunes either. I'll probably have to order off of Amazon or something.

Don't know if these all qualify as prog - maybe more the 'drone' category.. but I think you'll enjoy these

Mammatus - The Coast Explodes *
Have a Nice Life - Deathconsciousness
Maybeshewill - Not for Want of Trying
Oceansize - Frames *
Ufomammut - Idolum *
Shining - Grindstone

* Bonus points

I've known about Arcturus for a little while now and I've actually been trying to find that album... to little success. They don't have it on iTunes either. I'll probably have to order off of Amazon or something.

Surely thats the route I'd take; I'd never recommend just finding a torrent like I didn't do.