RC March Madness: The Contenders

I'll also throw in a vote for Autumn Aurora for Drudkh.

On the Moonsorrow, if it wasn't for that last waste of a track on Verisakeet, I'd probably go with it as well. As it stands, I'm ok with either one. I absolutely love both, so it's really nitpicking either way for me.

Below the Lights on Enslaved all the way.

Necuratul - your opinion on the Iced Earth, Meshuggah & Satyricon releases are just that, opinions. Feel free to vote against them in the poll. All Zod was asking for in this thread are opinions discussing the best releases from the bands presented.

One last item - I'm torn on Nevermore as well. Sometimes I think "Dead Heart..." should get the nod because it's the most accessible and catchy album they've ever done, then other times I think "This Godless Endeavoer" because it just kicks you in the balls from start to finish and features some absolutely sizzling guitarwork throughout. I'd be ok with either of those as well.

Jason

Iced Earth - The Glorious Burden, Messugah - Catch 33, and Satyricon - Now, Diabolical are definitely not anywhere near the best since 2000.

I agree.

And Dead Heart sucks, except 2 songs. TGE saved Nevermore, especially after the piles of shit that are Dhiadw and EOR.

just for the record, Voimasta ja Kunniasta is incredibly forgettable, and I fucking LOVE Moonsorrow. this arguing is fun though, keep the list together.

Doomcifer: You don't like shit like Beherit, Varathron, Barathrum and the like? This fits in nicely somewhere in the middle of all that.

I'm ok with the list. There's always going to be a few question marks here or there, but provided they all meet the 'post-00' criteria, then I think we're good.

Perhaps this is less about our personal faves, but more to do with the 'standout' albums, if that makes sense. For example, Monumension has slowly become my personal Enslaved favorite release, but I can understand going with Below the Lights. I suspect more people have heard it, and that makes the voting easier.

I'm even ok with not including Autumn Aurora, only because it's been included in the last 2 tournaments and come out winning each time. It'll be interesting to see how Blood in our Wells does, just for some variety.

Just my 2 cents.

Lastly, when the brackets are set up are we following the same rule where if you only know one album in any match up, then you shouldn't vote? Otherwise the results are skewed.

Or we can just say fuck it and vote away. :tickled:

Eh, I read the thread wrong, I thought it said "CDs that are clearly not the best since 2000...which is what it should say.

What the hell do I care, I'm not going to vote anyway because I don't like half of the crap on that list. :zombie:

I shoulda said TGE saved Nevermore for me.

Dreaming Neon Black, being one of my favorite albums of all time, set a very high expectation for Nevermore albums to come, which I felt, for me of course, was not met by the 2 albums that followed. But when TGE came out, I felt it was a step onto the right path. All of that being my sole opinion.

Lastly, when the brackets are set up are we following the same rule where if you only know one album in any match up, then you shouldn't vote? Otherwise the results are skewed.

Yeah, I really don't think people have paid much attention to that rule in the past :lol:

Vote for what you like. I don't think doing it any other way makes sense. For instance, should I refrain from voting for Nevermore because they're up against a CD I haven't heard?

If you haven't heard either CD, you shouldn't vote. So, perhaps you like one of the bands, but haven't heard the CD in question, don't vote for that match up.

Zod

Eh, I read the thread wrong, I thought it said "CDs that are clearly not the best since 2000...which is what it should say.
The poll isn't meant to reflect the tastes of any one member. Hell, the only disc I added to the list, that no one else mentioned, is Zero Hour's "Towers of Avarice".

What the hell do I care, I'm not going to vote anyway because I don't like half of the crap on that list. :zombie:
Translation = I'm taking my ball and going home.

Zod

@Zod: Right, which is why we should just go with the list as-is, I think you did a fine job. There's little to no science to this, I think the list is good IMO.

The poll isn't meant to reflect the tastes of any one member. Hell, the only disc I added to the list, that no one else mentioned, is Zero Hour's "Towers of Avarice".

Not that I want to make a big deal, but under that logic, if Hail was mentioned twice, as was Repugnant, why would it go over Zero Hour?

Translation = I'm taking my ball and going home.

Basically, yeah. Why am I going to play with a bunch of people (albums) I don't like? :loco: Sounds counterintuitive to me. I would only wind up voting in about 10 or so rounds to begin with, so I decided not to bother, and I don't see the problem with that.

Thing is, it's not "Metal March Madness", it's "RC March Madness" and the simple fact is, lots of people here know Isis and Empyrium. It makes total sense to me.

I think the list is supposed to reflect those albums which seem to be most talked about in this forum. Hence my logic to keep Below the Lights over Monumension, for example.