I Need Some Recomendations...

Ozzloaf

Art Geek
Jun 14, 2008
Hi,
I'm slightly new to the world of Progressive music and I'd love some recommendations on what to listen to that's in the world of prog rock/metal.

Here are some of the prog bands that I'm into:

Opeth
Meshuggah
Tool
Porcupine Tree
Atheist
Between the Buried and Me
Ihsahn
Pelican
Russian Circles
Mastodon
Evergrey
Indukti
Orphaned Land
Death
Negura Bunget
Dead Soul Tribe
Ozzy's Black Sabbath (I don't know if they're prog)

I really dislike cheesy over use of keyboards and high pitched singing like Rush (they're by far my most hated band) and Dream Theater.

So... any recommendations?

Thanks,
Jake

Pain of Salvation is amazing (however it will take you time to get used to the vox,) Katatonia, Karnivool, Novembre, and Nevermore. Actually PoS is the only really straight up Prog band I mentioned, but you had a lot of metal bands with slight prog influences too.

Again, I have to recommend Disillusion (yes, I know I'm a fanboy); their album Back to Times of Splendor is a masterpiece (IMO).

Pain of Salvation is amazing (however it will take you time to get used to the vox,) Katatonia, Karnivool, Novembre, and Nevermore. Actually PoS is the only really straight up Prog band I mentioned, but you had a lot of metal bands with slight prog influences too.

Dealing with Pain of Salvation try The Perfect Element and Remedy Lane..

Their last two Be and Scarsick should be the last ones of theirs you should listen to...

Don't like Rush??:erk: Oh well. I guess Yes is out too...

King Crimson
Pink Floyd
Riverside
Spock's Beard
Dark Suns
Frost
Jethro Tull

Deathspell Omega (mos. def.)
Anekdoten
Giant Squid
Therion
The Mars Volta (though they have high pitched singing)
Nachtmystium (i just discovered these guys recently, they're pretty good)