Epic Doom Metal

Their hipster image makes the music seem that much less sincere than it already is. They seem to have no real interest in metal, and their music sounds more like it is catering to a current fad other than genuinely paying homage to the bands that originally crafted the style. When I listen to "worship bands", I like to at least sense that the members have a genuine interest/passion for the music they are playing, but I find none of this while listening to The Sword.

You have no idea what their level of interest in metal is, or their motivation for making the music they do, because for that would have to know them personally or at least have some kind of first hand knowledge in that regard. You don't. You can't tell that sort of shit just from your subjective perception of their music, because your subjective perception could be objectively ass wrong.

If their music just doesn't do it for you, then fine. That's legit, and you can simply state so. Or your can critique their music on the merits of the music itself, as I did.

But don't malign a band and infer a nefarious motivation behind their music without basis. That just retards the entire discussion.

The atmosphere (or lack thereof) and overall feel of their music gives me the impression that they are not playing music in the heartfelt spirit of metal, which is a huge turnoff for me when I'm listening to this style of music. I never said that the members themselves absolutely do not truly enjoy metal, or make music with the intention of being a metal band, but their sound and image leave me under the impression that their level of interest and understanding in metal is lacking to the point where the quality of their art seriously suffers.

This lack of interest and passion is just one of the many reasons I dislike the music of The Sword, and it is a perfectly legit reason to disapprove of their musical output.

Edit: We should probably drop the whole ordeal with The Sword and get back to a relevant topic. I'll throw out Centurions Ghost's A Sign Of Things To Come and Fall of the Idol's Womb Of The Earth.

I like The Sword because they just have fun with what they play. Sure, they're not great; but hell, they're doing what they enjoy and they're emulating a great band. Furthermore, they write songs about George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire saga. I think they're a decent act.

I'd rather listen to The Sword than Wolfmother, if we're talking Sabbath rip-offs.

Ok, so I've been having this on repeat since I got the album. They are so fucking good. :-D

:kickass:

I like The Sword because they just have fun with what they play. Sure, they're not great; but hell, they're doing what they enjoy and they're emulating a great band. Furthermore, they write songs about George R.R. Martin's Song of Ice and Fire saga. I think they're a decent act.

I'd rather listen to The Sword than Wolfmother, if we're talking Sabbath rip-offs.

I loathe Wolfmother. You would not believe how over played they were in Australia when that album came out.

I love how Reverend Bizarre uses the riff from Wolfmother's Woman in They Used Dark Forces and yet no one ever really notices.

Hey guys, any suggestions for melodic epic doom similar in style to While Heaven Wept? I really like the melodies these guys use. They're different from most traditional doom bands.