Need recommendations for "late night music"

Goffdahl

Lappedykker
Nov 10, 2003
Copenhagen
www.pelantas.com
Being very addicted to metal, Im always on the look for something new... I happen to have a girlfriend who (unfortunately) dislikes most of my music, but there are several things I'm allowed to play though... ;)

Now i'm on search for more of those acts that are accepted.

I really like following bands' works, so recommendations should be in the vein of these:

Tenhi
Dargaard
Die Verbannten Kinder Evas
Empyrium
Ulver (kveldssanger, perdition city, themes...)
Drawn
Agalloch
The Gathering
Godspeed You Black Emperor
Mortiis
Nest
Menhir (Buchonia)
Mid Autumn Nights
Naervaer
VLE
Star of Ash
Opeth (Damnation)
Of the Wand and the Moon
Sleepless

Recommendations doesn't have to be metal, but I'd prefer if they were at least metal RELATED...

Thanks in advance.

MightyDrynwhyl said:
Elend(definitly check them out)
Silent Stream of Godless Energy
Sephiroth
Katatonia(tonights music til now)
vidna obmana

sry theyre mostly are in the ambient category

I already have The Umbersun by Elend. just forgot to mention. Which of their other releases should i get first? Winds devouring men or some earlier stuff?

I have all Katatonia but don't think it falls under the category (or my girlfriend don't...) ;)

Perhaps I'll check out some of the ambient bands you mentioned... Sephiroth??? Wasn't he the bad guy in Final Fantasy VII???

I recommend The Third And The Mortal. Their first two releases "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" from 1994 feature very atmospheric (and at least metal-related) songs with a beautiful female voice (Kari Rueslåtten). In 1995, Kari Rueslåtten left the band to start a solo career. If you like her voice, you should also look for her first two albums "Demo Recordings 1995" and the folk-inspired "Spindelsinn" - but they have absolutely nothing to do with metal, nor have the follow-ups "Mesmerized" and "Pilot", which didn´t impress me that much.
In 1995, The Third And The Mortal got a new vocalist, Ann-Mari Edvardsen (sister of Tactile Gemma and Ex-Atrox vocalist Monika Edvardsen) and she sings on the "Nightswan"-EP and the albums "Painting On Glass" and "In This Room". The music on these releases sounds different from songs on the first two releases. The music is even more "relaxed" (if that´s the correct word) and there are hardly any metal-influences anymore. In 1997 Ann-Mari left the band to become an opera singer.
Two years ago, The Third And The Mortal returned with "Memoirs", which features all in all 5 female and male guest vocalists. They changed their style again. It has absolutely nothing to do with metal anymore. In several reviews it was classified as "Musique Noir". You´ll find more information, some short audio samples as well as two videos on their official homepage www.mortal.info/.

Some other stuff you could give a try (though it´s not metal-related):
Dead Can Dance
Lisa Gerrard (www.lisagerrard.com)
Tactile Gemma (more information on http://edvardsensingers.free.fr/indexmonika.htm)
Qntal (www.qntal.de)
Gjallarhorn (www.gjallarhorn.com)
Garmarna

Worm-Infested Intestinal Tract said:
Explosions In The Sky
Guapo

EitS: Post-rock, quiet, experimental music that builds up to a driving climax. Very very good.

Guapo: Progressive rock. Not amazinlgy great, but not bad, either.

Burkhard said:
I recommend The Third And The Mortal. Their first two releases "Sorrow" and "Tears Laid In Earth" from 1994 feature very atmospheric (and at least metal-related) songs with a beautiful female voice (Kari Rueslåtten). In 1995, Kari Rueslåtten left the band to start a solo career. If you like her voice, you should also look for her first two albums "Demo Recordings 1995" and the folk-inspired "Spindelsinn" - but they have absolutely nothing to do with metal, nor have the follow-ups "Mesmerized" and "Pilot", which didn´t impress me that much.
In 1995, The Third And The Mortal got a new vocalist, Ann-Mari Edvardsen (sister of Tactile Gemma and Ex-Atrox vocalist Monika Edvardsen) and she sings on the "Nightswan"-EP and the albums "Painting On Glass" and "In This Room". The music on these releases sounds different from songs on the first two releases. The music is even more "relaxed" (if that´s the correct word) and there are hardly any metal-influences anymore. In 1997 Ann-Mari left the band to become an opera singer.
Two years ago, The Third And The Mortal returned with "Memoirs", which features all in all 5 female and male guest vocalists. They changed their style again. It has absolutely nothing to do with metal anymore. In several reviews it was classified as "Musique Noir". You´ll find more information, some short audio samples as well as two videos on their official homepage www.mortal.info/.

Some other stuff you could give a try (though it´s not metal-related):
Dead Can Dance
Lisa Gerrard (www.lisagerrard.com)
Tactile Gemma (more information on http://edvardsensingers.free.fr/indexmonika.htm)
Qntal (www.qntal.de)
Gjallarhorn (www.gjallarhorn.com)
Garmarna

Thanks for the recommendatons!!

I like Karis voice (from Storms Nordavind) and have several times thought about checking out Spinelsinn, since I heard it was the most folky... I'll definately also check out the 3rd and the mortal. Don't know why I haven't done this yet...
The new album sounds interesting! Musique noir.... ;)

I just recently bought my first dead can dance-album. Into the Labyrinth. What other albums are preferable in their huge discography?

I know Gjallarhorn and Garmarna and like it a bit... But it's not dark and mellow enough for me... Plain folk music is not that interesting imo...

The others I don't know, but I'll definately check them out!

Thanks again.