Need recommendations for "late night music"

Brian Eno can be played at max volume and still put people to sleep, not a bad thing, just SUPER ambient. Not very metal though.

New Pain of Salvation is really great and has some soothing guitar melodies, there is some metallic parts though.

Cynic-Focus has some very mellow moments, but then theres still death vox on most songs.

Goffdahl said:
Sorry don't know what i was tinking... ;)

I just asked if eits was anything similar to gybe??? They surely sound like it from your description...

GYBE are more classical from what I've heard. EitS have some nice guitar parts. Try their EP "Those Who Tell The Truth Shall Die".

You can also try Sunn O))), but I personally don't like them.

Goffdahl said:
I like Karis voice (from Storms Nordavind) and have several times thought about checking out Spinelsinn, since I heard it was the most folky..

It definitely is. It´s also her only solo album with Norwegian lyrics. Well, on "Demo Recordings 1995", which you should also give a try, there´s also one song she sings in Norwegian. Her last two albums "Mesmerized" and "Pilot" are more some kind of singer/songwriter pop.

Hm, if you like Kari´s voice, you might also like the album "Solrenning" by Anne Vada and Aki Fukakusa - very mellow, very beautiful - IMO -, though maybe not dark enough for you (but Kari´s solo albums aren´t really dark either). It was released on the small Norwegian record label Kirkelig Kulturverksted (www.kkv.no).

Another album which just comes to my mind is "Ett liv" by Lill Lindfors (it was also released on Kirkelig Kulturverksted and the lyrics are poems by Edith Södergran). I´d say that most songs on this album have a mellow and (at least somewhat) dark mood, e.g. "Månen", "Landet som icke är", "Ett liv", "Mitt liv, mitt död och mitt öde", "Kyrkogårdsfantasi" and "Ankomst till Hades".

I'll definately also check out the 3rd and the mortal. Don't know why I haven't done this yet...
The new album sounds interesting! Musique noir.... ;)
Not to be confused with "black music"!:D

I just recently bought my first dead can dance-album. Into the Labyrinth. What other albums are preferable in their huge discography?
My personal favourites are definitely "Within The Realm Of A Dying Sun" and their live-album "Toward The Within", but the others aren´t really bad either.

BTW, on their maxi-single "Kevin´s Telescope", The Gathering did a cover version of a Dead Can Dance-song, namely "In Power We Enthrust The Love Advocated". The original version of this song stems from Dead Can Dance´s mini-album "Garden Of The Arcane Delights", where it is sung by the male voice of DCD. (The songs of "Garden Of The Arcane Delights" are also included on the CD-version of Dead Can Dance´s eponymously titled debut album - well, at least on the copy I´ve got.)

I know Gjallarhorn and Garmarna and like it a bit... But it's not dark and mellow enough for me... Plain folk music is not that interesting imo...
Which of their albums have you heard so far? At least Garmarna´s music isn´t "plain folk" - well, not anymore after their debut mini-album, but if you´re looking for "dark and mellow", I think I know what you mean.

Man, I have the same deal going with my girlfriend. She mainly just doesn't care for any "non singing" vocals. She says she can tolerate the rest. I have had some luck with Opeth though. She says she actually kinda likes them now. I made a CD made up of Damnation and other softer songs of theirs. It goes over pretty well.

Yeah, anything from Damnation by Opeth like said ^^ up there

and also Novembers Doom, maybe some Paradise Lost, In The woods (already mentioned but i thought i might mention it again), or maybe some Arcturus or some of the more melodic Borknagar.

i have a g/f like that, but she just turns it way down so i cant hear it.... but if i want to listen to something i play damnation, amorphis, mortiis, cynic, and my dying bride. but she should let you listen to metal, but maybe youll have to listen to her music... which sucks, and because of that i know lyrics to many britany spears songs...

My recommendations:

Biosphere - Substrata
Neptune Towers - Caravans to Empire Algol
Moraito Chico - Morao y Oro (Not Metal, but Flamenco music is magnificent)
Burzum - Hlidskjalf
Endura - Great God Pan

Thanks for the time and effort everyone. It's really appreciated!

I have done some research on some of the recommended bands and found out which of them made the way to my "to get"-list. There were way to many recommendations for me to get them all... :(

I'll try to get the following:
Troum
Elend
Explotions in the Sky
Pain of Salvation
The Third and the Mortal
Kari Rueslåtten
Raison D'Etre
Antimatter (already was on the list)
Dominion
Orplid
Sopor Aeturnus

I already have everything (well at least the interesting stuff) by Katatonia, Anathema, In The Woods, Green Carnation, November's Doom, Paradise Lost, Arcturus, Borknagar, Amorphis, Opeth, Sigh and Burzum so these bands are not represented.

Goffdahl said:
Thanks for the time and effort everyone. It's really appreciated!

I have done some research on some of the recommended bands and found out which of them made the way to my "to get"-list. There were way to many recommendations for me to get them all... :(

I'll try to get the following:
Troum
Elend
Explotions in the Sky
Pain of Salvation
The Third and the Mortal
Kari Rueslåtten
Raison D'Etre
Antimatter (already was on the list)
Dominion
Orplid
Sopor Aeturnus

I already have everything (well at least the interesting stuff) by Katatonia, Anathema, In The Woods, Green Carnation, November's Doom, Paradise Lost, Arcturus, Borknagar, Amorphis, Opeth, Sigh and Burzum so these bands are not represented.
I like most of those bands but Antimatter is just shit. I bought "lights out" when everyone said how great it is but didn't like it at all. Now I'm trying to get rid off it.