Looking for some recommendations on dark, sombre, emotional music

Elend are certainly dark, sombre and emotional...but I'm not so sure it's exactly what JK seems to be looking for. But I might be wrong. I find them pretty hard to listen to. I remember listening to Winds Devouring Men on headphones for the first time and it scaring the crap out of me upon hearing all this stuff I hadn't noticed previously! It's pretty intense music.

Agalloch?

pardon the obviousness but I haven't seen them mentioned thus far so...

Otherwise I think you should listen to Yearning's debut "With Tragedies Adorned", which doesn't fail to recall this Empyrium-like nocturnal pantheism feel. The first track at least, Remnants of the Only Delight, is probably the most beautiful shoegazing doom metal song I've ever heard. Check it out man!

Henrik Main said:
Gehenna - Dark Poems Author, from the fantastic "Seen Through The Veil Of Darkness: Second Spell". One of my favourite albums of all time, 10/10.

This is quite cool. Will take a few listens but I like the neo-classical touches and especially that outro. I'll play again for sure. I just read the review at SSMT and they also said to give this band several listens.

honestly, JayK, try checking out latter day Neurosis, especially A Sun That Never Sets and Eye of Every Storm. Dark, dreery, none of the osis-isms of Through Silver in Blood.

also check out Scott Kelly - Spirit Bound Flesh and Steve Von Till - As the Crow Flies. extremely morose. kinda like acoustic doom

J. said:
honestly, JayK, try checking out latter day Neurosis, especially A Sun That Never Sets and Eye of Every Storm. Dark, dreery, none of the osis-isms of Through Silver in Blood.

OK I have both of those, so I will.

spaffe said:
Uaral - Sounds of Pain and the title track in particular is what first popped into my mind -- you have that cd right? When in the right mood I tend to place that song on the top 10 songs evar list.

Or how about some Orplid? Are you familiar with them? Have a sample anyhow, since they rule: http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=download&ufid=FC73EE2306B72A96
I discovered them quite recently and imediately fell in love with them; their music is dark, beautiful, romantic, melancholic and really sombre at times -- it should be right up your alley ;)

Erzengel Michael for the win. :)