Looking for some help with this metalcore mix!

B

buhzie2

Here's a recent mix and home mastering job I did on a track for a local band.
http://soundcloud.com/steve-seid/atb-demo

A whoooole lot of turd polishing as far as performances went on here, lol. :tickled: Timing corrections up the wazoo, pitch correction, etc. If some stuff sounds off, it's because they were really out on their performances and the band needs to hear it. They were kind of stubborn and I'll only fix up to a certain level.

Besides that, I feel like I have trouble getting my mixes sounding anywhere near some commercial stuff I hear. Obviously I don't have a multi-thousand dollar studio with high end equipment and monioring to work with, but I hear some mixes on this forum and am totally floored by the quality and whatnot. I don't know what I'm missing. I'd love to watch someone make a video of them doing a mixdown of a song.

I feel like this came out slightly mid scooped, and that things seem a little lost/muddy. Not necessarily low end mud, but just clarity issues. It almost sounds lo-fi...

Drums were all sample replaced with slate stuff. Guitars are amplitube metal, bass is 2 blended separately processed DI tracks. Screams and clean vocals were tracked with an sm7 straight into my firestudio.

Please give me some tips!

Is it that far off that nobody wants to deal with responding to this? eek...