Crits on new tone/mix

I've been wanting to use impulses. The only reason i haven't yet is because they eat up my cpu on my crappy computer, making everything nearly unlistenable.

Guitar tone is totally usable, but these kind of tones rely pretty heavily on good-sounding drums, so I would recommend working more in that area!

If you have tips for the drums it'd be greatly appreciated. They're better than they used to be but i know they could definitely improve. As far as editing on the guitars, i just like the super tight feel, so that's just personal preference.

Well, if you like the drum sound of the mix in my signature, I can tell you it's almost 100% subtractive EQ and then parallel compressed to hell and back. My philosophy is just pretty much getting rid of all the junk so you're left with only the desirable parts. I normally run a normal 5-band EQ (my EQ of choice right now is the Waves H-EQ, but stock EQ's work good for this purpose too) for general tone-shaping (high/low-shelfs, some small boosts for 'thump', some broad cuts in the 1 KHz region etc), then a Q10 for some surgical EQ. More often than not I end up using all 10 bands on the Q10, and some cuts are like just -1.5 dB, so it's all very minor cuts that add up, so it sounds more clean and focused. Then I compress a bit (like 3 dB gain reduction) with fairly slow attack (25 ms-ish) and fairly fast release (100 ms-ish) and around 2:1 ratio. Then I send kick/snare/toms to parallel compression. Cymbal tracks are usually high-passed around 500 Hz, with a big high-shelf, and some minor broad cutting for harsh/annoying frequencies.

Hope that helped, haha. Drum mixing is a broad subject, so trying to summarize one's whole approach is kind of hard. But that's pretty much it!

Hey, it may be a broad subject, but knowing other people's techniques helps me develop my own. So thank you!

https://soundcloud.com/glacier-recording-studio/metal-shop-test-mix-now-with
I did some parallel compression on my drums. I really liked my tones, and now I think it helped a ton because they sound beefier.

Well despite the splices you did or how hard you hit the noise gate its sounds pretty good dude. Although they sound too mid-range(y) for my taste, the drums here sound a lot better than they did. But just like daybreak said, These tones rely on the drums accompanying them. I do believe the bass has to blend well with the drums, before adding your guitars.

Just how you track should track a band is how you should mix a band.

I've been wanting to use impulses. The only reason i haven't yet is because they eat up my cpu on my crappy computer, making everything nearly unlistenable.

I'm going to guess you're using the Waves IR plugins, or Altiverb since those two are terrible, terrible CPU hogs.

I had several IR plugins and stopped using all of them in place of Mix IR2 by Redwirez simply because it has no latency, very, very, very, did I say very? little CPU footprint, and it's made just for mixing cabs - it's like a mini cab-mixing console.

Back when I got Mix IR2, you could only get it if you purchased certain cabs from Redwirez. I'm not sure if that's still the case, but it's worth checking out.

I can't remember if you have to buy the whole bundle, or just one, or none. Either way, their cabs are great, but sometimes I think they blend it with dry IRs... In any case, chaining cabs can fix that with a little wet/dry blend.